A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By AerBabe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
May the Gods of inappropriate quoting give you food poisoning! :evil:

But I agree with your comment. :D

I prepare my potato, shove it in the oven, then take the hounds out for a walk. By the time we're back, it's ready to eat. :thumleft:
By Flyingfemme
Jon Mercer wrote:Surely 10 minutes prep then waiting an hour and a half isn't too bad? Unless you really are in the habit of eating dinner half an hour after getting in from work, in which case I want to know how you plan it so well!

If I'm lucky there's an hour and a half between getting home from work and being sound asleep! Chucking a steak on the barbie and opening a bag of salad is about my limit these days.........
By Jon Mercer
You have my sympathy there. I'm not allowed to sleep until my poorly trained hounds have been sufficiently placated to let me sit down and nod off. Normally about four hours after getting home.
By AerBabe
Jon ... I don't have them in stock yet, but you could try the 'travel calm cookies' I'm about to add to my range...
I tried them on Dog 1 when she was getting really over-excited about something and they worked quite well. I also tried them on Dog 2 when I was still teaching her that she wasn't allowed to be scared of thunderstorms. She was asleep in her bed PDQ!
I know that one of yours won't be able to have them, but you could sneak them to the other?
By AerBabe
Back to garlic...

This evening I have been pickling garlic. After a close shave a few months ago, when I nearly ran out of shop-bought stuff, I decided to try making my own. It's more expensive than buying it, takes a while to prepare, but tastes flippin' lovely. My original batch was made like this:

Clean and sterilise jam jars (I wash them thoroughly then put them in the oven, turn on the oven to 120'C ish (NOT higher or the glass may break) and leave for 30 minutes).
While they're in the oven, start peeling garlic.
Cut any large cloves in half.
Put the garlic in a bowl and cover with distilled white vinegar (this is just to measure how much you need).
Pour the vinegar into a stainless steel pan.
Add some sugar - around 1/6 - 1/3 of the volume of vinegar. What I call a British Standard Handful.
Add spices if you like - I put in some whole black peppercorns.
Bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and continue boiling for another 5 minutes.
Put the garlic and peppercorns in your jam jars, not quite to the top. Make sure the vinegar completely covers the garlic and the jars are almost full.
Seal, allow to cool, then store.

They're good to eat pretty quickly (around 2-3 weeks), but taste even better if you can wait for longer.

The batch I made tonight, I put around 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds and 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika in each jam jar before adding the hot garlic.

House blydi stinks now. :lol:
By Jon Mercer
AerBabe wrote:I know that one of yours won't be able to have them

That's the one that needs 'em! Even the vet has prescribed stuff for him, we've given him enough to knock out an elephant, but clearly cocker spaniels are made of tougher stuff...
By AerBabe
Tried this again last night ... with smoked garlic. Heaven!

By AerBabe
Jon Mercer wrote:it's

:roll:

The textured rubber sheets *smirk* work well. :D

By Jon Mercer
AerBabe wrote:
Jon Mercer wrote:it's

:roll:

The textured rubber sheets *smirk* work well. :D

Damn you, autocorrect. There, their, they're, AB. :cyclopsani: