A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By AerBabe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Vegetables don't often get mentioned here ... it's more about the best way to roast an ox. Which is no bad thing. But Mono's discussion on seasonal veg got me thinking that we should share our ways for making veggies exciting.

I'll kick off with:

Steam peas and french beans, add a tiny splash of toasted sesame oil (with or without an equally small splash of extra virgin olive oil), a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Simple and yet very tasty.

AND

Mix some peas with a small amount of light batter (just enough to hold them together) and some freshly ground fennel seeds. Add a teaspoon of EVOO to a frying pan and heat. Add small blogs of the pea mix and fry on both sides until golden.
By CaptCrispy
You can't beat garlic mushrooms, so simple and tasty, I love em!

Saute in a little butter with a little olive oil for a couple of minutes, add salt and finely chopped garlic at the end for about 30 seconds, you could also add some chopped chives. Keep an eye on the garlic as it burns (browns) very easily and totally ruins any meal. Great on toast!
By AerBabe
CaptCrispy wrote:You can't beat garlic mushrooms, so simple and tasty, I love em!

But mushrooms aren't vegetables. :roll: :wink:

CaptCrispy wrote:Keep an eye on the garlic as it burns (browns) very easily and totally ruins any meal.

Nooooo.... caramelised garlic is divine! And yes - a whole bulb slow roasted and spread onto toast is delicious.
By AerBabe
Monocock wrote:
Add small blogs of the pea mix

How does one write a blog when cooking peas? You women are so good at multi-tasking. :D

Oops - must have been my subconscious reminding me that a new post is due. :oops:
By CaptCrispy
Of course mushrooms are not vegetables, perhaps I was thinking vegetarian - although more like I'm hungry for some ;) Should we mention tomato ;)

Agree about caramalised and/or roasted garlic (I like bulbs with roast veg), but that's different from burnt!

There was an earlier post about asparagus, how about creamed asparagus on toast?
By AerBabe
If you're going to mention tomatoes, I'd like to add cucumbers. Also not vegetables.

I think we can get around the mushroom issue by calling it "caramelised garlic with mushroom flavouring". Mmmm.....
By AerBabe
You're quite right about cucumbers. Friends told me about a dessert dish, made with chilled cucumber and vanilla. I haven't been able to find a recipe that looks anything like what they described.
By Keef
Mushrooms not vegetables?

Wot is they then? Animals, or minerals?
By AerBabe
CaptCrispy wrote:I remember a few cucumber and mint varieties but not vanilla, is this any help ...

Yes! Thank you!!
By AerBabe
Keef wrote:Mushrooms not vegetables?

Wot is they then? Animals, or minerals?

They're great to have at a party...
By AerBabe
Fungi ... fun guy ... parties ... geddit? :roll: :oops: :(