A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Up and down
Unfortunately didn't hear much of it as I've been away, but Paul Lewis this evening was definitely rocking.
By Gerard Clarke
Check it out on the Listen Again site - the music and the talk have been fab. For my money, Schubert kicks Beethoven's butt, and is right up there with Mozart.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gerard Clarke wrote:Schubert kicks Beethoven's butt

They both had non-finished 10th symphonies. (as opposed to the unfinished)
By Up and down
Gerard Clarke wrote:Schubert kicks Beethoven's but

Not entirely sure I'd agree, although if Schubert had lived just a bit longer things might be different.

Listen again is a distinct possibility, although opportunities are limited. Is there any sensible way of doing so in the car? Mind you, then I'd have to miss out on Sara Mohr-Pietsch live, and that would be a shame...
By Josh
Gerard Clarke wrote:For my money, Schubert kicks Beethoven's butt, and is right up there with Mozart.

As you have mentioned before, you are fairly profligate with your money.

That said, both Schubert and Beethoven would be on my Desert Island Discs
By David Williams
Hmmm... Much as I too admire Schubey*, I'm not sure I agree with the "up there with Mozart" bit. There is a dazzling, arrogantly effortless brilliance to Mozart that no composer has matched, or perhaps ever will.

* There is a 15-minute rondo for violin and strings (in er... A major I think) that I'm particularly fond of.
By Gerard Clarke
Schubert was a bit rubbish at opera, unlike Mozart, who rules the genre, but in so many other ways the boy Franz transmitted limitless joy thorough his music. The Trout Quintet, An Die Music, Wo ist Sylvia, the list is endless. Also fabby darker stuff, such as Erl Konig, Winterreise, and much else besides. Also, you would have wanted to go to the pub with Mozart and with Schubert (and they both went there a lot), but not with Beethoven.
By Timothy
Gerard Clarke wrote: but not with Beethoven.

What? What did you say? Hey, you lot keep it down I can't hear myself think. Now what did you say?
By Josh
Gerard Clarke wrote:Schubert was a bit rubbish at opera, unlike Mozart, who rules the genre,

I'm sure there's some other German chap who wrote a few operas, and was rather good at it. Wouldn't have fancied going to the pub with him much though either. Pubability seems a strange notion to rate composers on.
By Up and down
Timothy wrote:
Gerard Clarke wrote: but not with Beethoven.

What? What did you say? Hey, you lot keep it down I can't hear myself think. Now what did you say?

Ha ha ha haaaaar :)