A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Pianorak
Jim and Pat Dalton wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/musicality/

Shamefully bad is my result!!!! :oops:

Jim - if you got less than 6% for Emotional Connection and less than 14% for Social Creativity (my results) be pleased - be VERY pleased! Think about it!
By Adrian
Ah, but all those scores were based on answering questions, not on the musical bit. How did you do in the musical tests? I could match the jazz and rock clips, not the pop and hip-hop (however, if they'd given me baroque and classical in place of pop and hip-hop I think I'd have got 100%!), 11/18 on matching the beat, pretty mediocre on tapping to the beat (partly 'cos I'm rubbish, and partly the coffee I split on my keyboard some time ago :oops: ), and I got all the memory melody ones right.

16% on social creativity though. I'm glad I'm not one of those single-digit no-hopers! ;)
By Pianorak
Adrian - Check your PMs.
By Morley
I scored high on everything despite not reading the flippin' questions properly and being utterly unable to recognise two beats of a terrible copy of hip hop played by middle aged session musos.

Still, a pleasant waste of half an hour while me jeans wash.
By kms
Had trouble with the pop/hip hop stuff as the hiphop stuff was pretty lame. Did well on the rest, but would hope to, given how much I have music I am paid to listen to !
By Keef
An interesting experiment!

Matching the 16 clips was close - got a couple wrong.
Enthusiasm 49%
Emotional 23%
Social Creativity (whatever that is) 44%
Musical ditto 24% (I don't write music - my friend Paul does that far too well).

Matching beat - 9/18: I got the first few wrong - it took me a while to realise that "conducting" the music would help.
Tap the beat: 3 high, 5 medium, one low. I suspect I tapped only the first beat in the bar for some of them.
Melody memory: 8/12. Didn't much like the plinks, either.

I still prefer Bach and Mozart :)
By Sharpie
Thought I'd have a go at this and was relieved (as a musician) to get good scores! Particularly Musical Perception - 99%!