A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Jim and Pat Dalton
just watched the London firework display I reckon £12k max wonder how much they got paid

Jools Holland, I agree very good and not as ignorant as he would have us believe tho very astute at very good music whilst playing to the middle class chavs with smoke and mirror acts like Sea Sick Dave.

Jim
By Gerard Clarke
I could see the fireworks from my balcony. I was struck by how many people there were driving past, waiting for buses etc as the chimes sounded. They could have been doing something sociable, such as , er... bantering with people on the internet. Oops.

Who is that redheaded bird singing on the Hootenanny? Why does Peter Capaldi look so pished off? Is he possessed by Malcolm Tucker?
By AFKAE
Gerard Clarke wrote:Who is that redheaded bird singing on the Hootenanny?

Florence and the Machine. Quite good I thought. Asked the kids if they have any of their stuff on their Ipods- answer about one track each. Not like the days of going out and buying an album on the strength of a single track to find the rest of it is Carp :?
By Sharpie
Gerard - it was all going so well until you mentioned Dizzee Rascal. :P What a feckin' racket and as far away from "music" as you can get.
And that Florence - a wailing nightmare. Couldn't she at least hit one or two of the notes?

Pity Jools couldn't get some of the good bands that have graced his pages: like Arcade Fire, Goldfrapp and The Mummers.
By Gerard Clarke
Goldfrapp, v good call.

I was far from endorsing D Rascal - I think he and all hip hop/rap artists suck big time, and many of them (prob not him, but others) promote a negative culture of bling, arrogance, violence, homophobia, misogyny etc...
By Keef
Not bad for a Biggin ATCO, then.
By Foie Gras
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I blow hot and cold on Joss Stone, but I really enjoyed this performance of 'Son of a Preacher Man' complete with Sandie Shaw footwear

Now before you start, Dusty in Memphis was one of the best albums ever, and I agree that Dusty did it a lot better with a more constrained and seductive naivity, but Joss does a decent rendition.

FG
By Steve D
Gerard, I think female leads to bands (such as Florence and the Machine or Bat for Lashes) are rare, hence more girls go down the singer-songwriter route than do men, who seem more likely to form bands. Most of the male solo performers I've heard recently do seem to have succumbed to the lure of the X-Factor balladeer, unless they are in minority genres like folk or jazz.

For recent bands, I'd still recommend Elbow, either 'The Seldom Seen Kid' or its predecessor album, 'Leaders of the Free World'. Snow Patrol are also reaching a similar level of ubiquity, I like them, too, but their output is not as varied as Elbow's.

Katie Melua, with you there - nice voice but no brain. Ditto, Katherine Jenkins - she has a pleasant and well-modulated voice but little emotional content and looking like a cross between Barbie and a grown up Cabbage Patch kid may be easy on the eye, but somehow stops me taking her seriously.

Norah Jones, in contrast to Ms Melua, has written some wonderful stuff which I can come back to months later and still find it fresh.
By Dave W
I don't come through this forum door often at all. Interesting, isn't it?

Norah Jones, I see, has remade Monty Python's "Crimson Permanent Assurance". Presumably she got the idea when she was paying royalty cheques in at the Building Society.

Lily Allen - yep, very talented all round. The fake accent doesn't half annoy, though. Somehow I don't think that's how she spoke at Bedales.

But that Mylene Farmer; quelle une Minx. :shock:
By Morley
Gerard Clarke wrote:I could see the fireworks from my balcony. I was struck by how many people there were driving past, waiting for buses etc as the chimes sounded. They could have been doing something sociable, such as , er... bantering with people on the internet. Oops.

Who is that redheaded bird singing on the Hootenanny? Why does Peter Capaldi look so pished off? Is he possessed by Malcolm Tucker?

Couldve been Sam Brown daughter of Joe. Brilliand singer well underrated. Did the original version of "Stop".
By Dave W
Morley wrote:Couldve been Sam Brown daughter of Joe. Brilliand singer well underrated. Did the original version of "Stop".

She also did this cover. Gerard, perhaps you could adopt it as your feem toon.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyqwOceWlFk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyqwOceWlFk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
By Gerard Clarke
Last time I saw Lily Allen on the telly she was talking posh, like what Morley does.

It says here that it's OK to like her if you are a pinko Spartist nutter like me, so, phew.
By kms
Of course Lily Allen talks posh. It is the product of a very expensive education.
By Gerard Clarke
Yes, we know that. I think that people were commenting on the fact that, until recenty, she affected a street yoof innit accent. I am all in favour of posh girlies.
By PeteSpencer
Gwen Stefani in her in her No Doubt days really floated my boat.

Not bad solo either apart from those crappy Japanese females that are in every video.

Peter