A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Steve D
Last weekend I was lucky enough to go to 'An evening with Rick Wakeman'.

Small venue, about 200 or so seats at tables. The Great Man was scheduled to do 2 1-hour spots with a 20-minute interval, in the event he did nearly 3-hours' worth, the larger part of which was talking, but still plenty of playing. I think he enjoyed it as much as we all did.

Brilliant raconteur, extremely amusing storyteller with a nice line in gentle, self-deprecating humour and a fine musician. I'm not really a fan of his music but can't fault his technical skills and musicianship.

I don't think he does very many of these gigs, but if he does one near you, you should go.

Bought a CD, got it signed. Sad, I know, but in a happy kind of way. :D
By Sharpie
A couple of friends of mine used to play with him in his band in the seventies (Ash Holt and Roger Newell) and so I met him quite a few times and jammed with him once or twice at a local pub. Although he was really big time then he was always just one of the boys and as natural as can be.
As I said he used to come 'round to our local and jam, even though he was the top man at the time - great guy, always a good laugh and a wonderful musician.
By kevmusic
I've always been a huge 'Yes' fan and a great admirer of Rick. And, although I've never met him, he has always come across as a really affable bloke.
By Rob S
Never met him but was in a pub in the Lakes when he was there with that Sun model (Nina Carter?). There was a piano and I was so tempted to play a bit of 'Journey' that I knew, but my mates stopped me.

Also saw him at Heathrow last year, big bloke. Went to a concert once, he is certainly an outstanding musician and a great grumpy old man - someone I'd like to have a beer or two with.

Rob S
By Morley
Rob S wrote:Never met him but was in a pub in the Lakes when he was there with that Sun model (Nina Carter?). There was a piano and I was so tempted to play a bit of 'Journey' that I knew, but my mates stopped me.

Rob S

They are indeed your mates. Just as lucky you didnt see Mike Tyson and try a left hook on him innit?
By Rob S
Well you ain't exactly Hendrix are you? (is it coz you is white?)
By Morley
I wouldnt think of having a go at "The wind cries Mary" if his ashes were in the room. But my mates would probably encourage me and you tube the results.
By Charles Hunt
And I seem to recall hearing that he played the wonderful tinkly piano bit on Cat Stevens' 'Morning has broken.' but couldn't be credited due to being signed to a different label.

Memory cells start to wake up, saw him live with Yes in Portsmouth c 1975.
By Steve D
Charles Hunt wrote:And I seem to recall hearing that he played the wonderful tinkly piano bit on Cat Stevens' 'Morning has broken.' but couldn't be credited due to being signed to a different label.

Memory cells start to wake up, saw him live with Yes in Portsmouth c 1975.

Yes, he told that story, with some very amusing embellishments, during the evening: not only was he not credited, but (as he told it) he never got paid for the session work either. The intro and middle-8 bits he contributed were originally introduced to 'pad out' the song which would otherwise have never been long enough for a single. Much the larger and most memorable part of the song, those bits never got written down because he'd mostly just thrown it together during the session, after about half an hour's noodling around. He was asked several times if he would provide the details so other people could perform the song live, on TOTP for instance. As he hadn't been paid, he gleefully declined. :D
By Rob S
I saw Yes in 1975 (May 5th to be precise) first gig I ever went to and it was Patrick Moraz playing keyboards so you've got the date wrong Charles

Rob S
By jaycee58
Agree. Saw Yes in 1975 at Newcastle City Hall (Tales Of Topographic Oceans tour) and Moraz was on keyboards.
By Rob S
Hate to say this but I think you will find (unless they did two tours) that the 1975 tour was Relayer - with that most magnificent end to the Gates of Delirium - still love that now

Rob S
By Morley
Google is your friend. (Take this lifeline Rob or they will all think you terminally sad)
By kms
Great bloke, in my youth he used to play piano at my local pub's Christmas lunch. That was in his drinking days and the top of the piano was a row of Worthington White Shield bottles.
And also in his drinking/Six Wives days he went round all the band's dressing rooms and told them all different keys to start the first song in. Cause mayhem until they got it all sorted out, and a review praising the new jazz flavoured opening !