A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Morley
I have just bough a new album on CD (Seal, Soul. very good) and put it on itunes. For reasons I shant bore you with I put a tiny image in as the album artwork and cant get rid of it to put in the correct one.

Any hints?
By Morley
Nope. Tried all that. The only way I can see is to delete the whole album, start again and be more careful with the mouse. What a pain.
By eltonioni
What format are you ripping with? WAV can't hold artwork files. AAIF (a 100% WAV equivalent) can, AAC can, MPEG can.

Otherwise highlight all the tracks, click info and drag drop the image as suggested. Re-ripping won't (as far as I know) change things unless you are using WAV.
By Morley
eltonioni wrote:What format are you ripping with? WAV can't hold artwork files. AAIF (a 100% WAV equivalent) can, AAC can, MPEG can.

Otherwise highlight all the tracks, click info and drag drop the image as suggested. Re-ripping won't (as far as I know) change things unless you are using WAV.

Do you want woofers and tweeters with that?

Wibble. No idea what you are on about eltonioni. Ripping? I bought them! I am using itunes. What format does that use? My brain hurts.
By Boing_737
When you import a CD into iTunes == Ripping.

iTunes uses a codec to convert the format on the CD to one that the iPod etc. can understand. The default is the Apple Lossless codec, which, as you don't know anything about this subject apparently, is the format you are ripping the songs on the CD to.

As for the coverart, it is likely that there is a .bmp or .jpg file in the directory on your pc that the songs have been ripped to.
By Morley
Rip, dongle etc. Are they all five year olds who make these names up?

Ah, they are.
By eltonioni
Hehe, not arf. :)

Just imagine the file as a bucket that holds your song. Different buckets have different attributes, and some of them can have a photo pritt sticked on the front.

You can check what kind of file the software is ripping off your CD by going into iTunes
Edit > Preferences > Import settings

I use AAC set at iTunes Plus which gets a bit rate of 128k and gives a nice compromise between quality and file size for digital playback on anything but a top flight hi-fi. Also you can pritt stick that photo on the front with drag and drop using the method mentioned above.

There's a lot of rubbish spouted about bit rates, but if you care that much to be able to tell anything over 128k you will be listening to the CD. I can't tell much difference between 128k and 350k even when listening to it through my reasonably top end Pioneer DJ decks / mixer and headphones. In a club with a few thousand watts you can easily tell the difference if you know what you are listening for.

I have a mate who is seriously into his hi-fi and he spent an evening telling me that his £10k system can play Apple Lossless at a better rate than a CD. Now I don't know where he buys his music (actually I do - iTunes) but this is utter nonsense unless you can get hold of full fat studio mixes. He was quite complimentary about my set up at home but I hadn't the heart to tell him that it was a £150 amp driving it all. :)