A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By NickQ
Don't think this has been posted here...

From a recent live music newsletter:

[quo[quotee government wish to consider it a legal requirement in the new tax year to introduce laws insisting anyone applying or re-applying for an entertainment license must have a noise control device fitted to the venue. It is widely anticipated these devices will CUT IN and remove the power supply to sound systems at an unreasonably low decibel level. If you already haven't done so, I urge you to click on the link below and sign the e-petition. It is a very simple process.

Please sign the petition here:

[url]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/[/url]
[/quote]
By Jim and Pat Dalton
What are the db's your talking about here.

what is unreasonably low and what is high?

Jim
By eltonioni
It's a double edged sword. SPL's outside the venue are all that matters to neighbours so it doesn't [u:5f301d834b]actually[/u:5f301d834b] help them at all. People inside have the choice to use another venue, and folk in places with loud music tend to be there for that as a part of the package. Most music venues have such systems in place no as a part of thier licence condition. There is never ever any attempt to bypass the system. :wink:

However, my hearing isn't what it should at certain frequencies as a consequence of loud music so there is a pro- argument.

On balance, I'm pro-choice, but I'm shortly going to be investing in some custom ear plugs. :?
By NickQ
After a bit of digging it turns out that info I received in the newsletter is a bit out of date. The proposed legislation was slated for 2008 but never materialised, presumably because of voiced opposition.

Message from the bloke that created the ePetition: [url]http://www.warrenjames.net/[/url] (scroll down a bit)

More info: [url]http://www.mixmag.net/content/noise-restraint-petition-email-out-date-and-should-be-ignored[/url]

So nothing to see here. I think I'll go back to sleep. :oops:
Last edited by NickQ on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sharpie
I go with the pro-choice lobby, sod effin safety.
There should of course be warnings issued as excessive sound pressure levels, especially if prolonged, can certainly harm your hearing.

(I always wear ear plugs these days, both when gigging, rehearsing and attending concerts).

However, I would take issue with the proposed method of control. Just cutting the power when the level exceeds a point isn't a good idea. It could cause damage to equipment. And all of the equipment would have to be plugged into the same electrical circuit, not always a great idea (ground loops and all that).
DJs have a more straightforward system and they often use sound limiters which work well.

Like this one:
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/sp2120.htm

edit after Nick's post : I guess that it didn't fly but expect the issue to be resurrected again before too long. After all it is a real health issue, it's the method of control which may well be contentious.
By Jim and Pat Dalton
[quote='eltonioni']On balance, I'm pro-choice, but I'm shortly going to be investing in some custom ear plugs. :?[/quote]

I have several hundred noise attenuatingg ear plugs that we use on displays, they cut the more damaging noise out (I don't know how) and seem to work well

would you like me to pop a pair in the post

Jim
By Morley
These things have been around for yonks. Usually it is in committee run venues such as social clubs and council halls.
I first came across them in 1973 in Maidenhead working mend club and they are still the same.
The last time we did a wedding in Kent at a council hall which had one last year. It was so sensitive it cut off durng the count in. As has been said the problem is that nowadays all musical gear is full of chips which can be damaged by surges.
Pain in the arschloch and set to cut out at anything above accoustic level.
By eltonioni
[quote='Jim and Pat Dalton'][quote='eltonioni']On balance, I'm pro-choice, but I'm shortly going to be investing in some custom ear plugs. :?[/quote]

I have several hundred noise attenuatingg ear plugs that we use on displays, they cut the more damaging noise out (I don't know how) and seem to work well

would you like me to pop a pair in the post

Jim[/quote]
That is [u:9abe425519]very[/u:9abe425519] kind Jim but I will save your stamp on this occasion. The ones that I'm after are custom fitted 'plug' type that fit in the ear canal and have frequency filters, but most importantly I can wear them comfortably under headphones when DJ'ing. Thinking on, they will probably work well under my DC's as a Yorkshire alternative to a Bose. :)
By eltonioni
[quote='Morley']Pain in the arschloch and set to cut out at anything above accoustic level.[/quote]

Was once at the opening night of a gay bar and they had a second system connected to the fire alarm. The male go-go dancers with sparklers that jumped on the bar under the senors weren't popular when the music went off and the lights came on. Took nearlya qtr of an hour to work out what happened. :lol:
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[quote='eltonioni']Was once at the opening night of a gay bar and they had a second system connected to the fire alarm. The male go-go dancers with sparklers that jumped on the bar under the senors weren't popular when the music went off and the lights came on. Took nearlya qtr of an hour to work out what happened. :lol:[/quote]

Bummer.