A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Rob S
I was thinking of a thread entitled 'Your favourite three Gilmour solos' but you beat me to it! For me I like these:

Time, Money and Comfortably Numb (and agree the live solo is wasy too self induglent) from Gilmour.

Stairway to heaven Jimmy Page

Some of Bill Nelson's stuff with Be Bop De Luxe

Opening to 'Don't take me alive' by Steely Dan and also solo at end of 'King of the World' ((The Royal Scam) and the solo in 'Third World Man' (Larry Carlton) on Gaucho.

Quite like Steve Hackett's effort on 'Firth of Fifth'.

Rob S
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[quote='Rob S']
[/quote]

Someone else! I love Sound-on-Sound as well.
By Rob S
Sunburst Finish and Modern Music - two excellent albums, next you'll be telling me you like the Neutrons (Black Hole Star) and Metro
By ifty
Maybe not so much a solo but maybe my favourite player was a guy called Rory Gallagher, some of his playing is excellent IMHO
By wonko the sane
[quote='GrahamB'][quote='Rob S']
[/quote]

Someone else! I love Sound-on-Sound as well.[/quote]

It appears that every time I don't recognise the album my wife is playing, it's by Be Bop Deluxe. Good stuff though. Good enough for me to ask - again - "who is this?"

Bill Nelson, however, I discovered through a different route. He was one of the guitarists on David Sylvian's "Gone to Earth". I suspect that is the most heavily played album I have, as I spent several years playing it to go to sleep to. Still love it to pieces.
By Charles Hunt
Robert Fripp.

Starless and Bible Black

The Night Watch.
By chipmeisterc
Dream Theater - Under a glass moon
Dream Theater - Another Day
Dream Theater - Lines in the Sand
:lol:
By Shunter
Too many late-night laid-back solos to mention, but from an outstanding technical point of view it doesn't get much better than Marty Friedman's solo on the live version of High Speed Dirt. That kind of lead work rarely gets pulled off with that level of precision live, especially when the song is running at about 1.3x studio speed. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXTAIOJufyU]2mins 33secs is where the action is[/url]. Song is average, and solo by other guitarist is very average, but Friedman make it well worth a look.
By Biggles150
This has been posted on here before but worth repeating, not strictly a solo within a song, so a bit of a thread drift, here.
By Charles Hunt
I thought that was awful, a play by numbers party piece, very clever perhaps, but not in the least emotional; possibly not even music.
By Biggles150
Well I thought it was good, maybe not 'emotional', but for "possibly not even music", definitely recognisable as Bach, and "playing by numbers" is just an insult to this talented guy...But what do I know? I've only been playing the guitar for 45 years!

Each to his own I suppose eh? :wink:
By Charles Hunt
Aaaargh.

Typed a moderately long reply only to hit the escape button by accident, and it's all vanished.

As you say, to each his own, this one just didn't do it for me.

Have a listen to Bob Fripp's playing on 'The Night Watch' recommended further up the thread and tell me what you think. The solo comes after " Guitar lessons for the wife......" and is tabbed in Phil Hilbornes's book 'Solo'.
By Biggles150
Robert Fripp is an excellent guitarist/musician, I like his innovative approach to music and his carefully controlled playing, he's been going for some years now, he must be in his 60's.

Agreed on that one Charles. :wink: