A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Steve D
[quote='Keef']Nah, Katherine Jenkins for me. I like a nice, shapely Mezzo-Soprano (I married one).[/quote]

Oi! Leave her alone, you've already got one. :wink:

Actually, I think she has a great voice, but I can't get past those Barbie-doll looks. She looks like such an airhead, I find it hard to take her seriously.
By wonko the sane
[quote='Merlin83b']

Yes, I do think Bruce has an incredible voice.[/quote]

I think that whilst his voice is very impressive, it does not necessarily mean he's got the right vocals for a rock front man. Sometimes his voice just gets right on my tits. Whilst he's got an impressive range, his variety of vocal tricks is very limited.

I can't listen to their last album all the way through - purely because of his vocals. There's a couple of bands I find that with : Avenged Sevenfold come straight to mind - nothing actually wrong with them, but the vocal line just grates on me.

I saw a band at the Damnation festival that impressed me this weekend - 'Sigh'. They're a bit odd. The main vocalist is a tiny japanese woman, who comes out with a vocal roar that makes Arch Enemy's Angela Gossow sound like a choir boy. It's always weird when you hear that noise come from something so small and, well, cute.
By wessex boy
Bruce got expelled from my Kid's school for weeing on the Headmaster's lunch.... :shock:
By Keef
Sitting here listening to the new Hayley Westenra CD - that lass has a lovely voice, innit!
By steve355
Bruce is a good rock singer.

However... on the subject of rock singers.. Ronnie Dio is and will always be the greatest. Stargazer.... here live.... followed closely by Robert Plant (on the song remains the same) who single handedly invented rock singing, and almost anything by Steven Tyler.

Eva Cassidy and Karen Carpenter are made of cheese and not really that good IMO. The true queen of cheese is Doris Day, who IMO is probably the best white female singer America ever invented.

The Jazz singers take the biscuit... Ella Fitgerald is the most incredible perfect technical singer, and Dean Martin is far far better than his cool delivery would have you believe. He makes it sound so easy, amd it really isn't.

George Michael is a very very good singer. Preferred him in his early days though.

Mariah Carey, while her music is often reprehensible pap, is a truly incredible singer who inspired a generation. She can sing things I can't even think.
By wonko the sane
steve355 wrote:Bruce is a good rock singer.

Meh. We'll have to agree to disagree.
However... on the subject of rock singers.. Ronnie Dio is and will always be the greatest. .... followed closely by Robert Plant and almost anything by Steven Tyler.

Well, we don't disagree on everything, I see. :D
As for Ronny James Dio, I see Heaven & Hell have announced they're headlining Hellfest in June/July next year, so I suspect they'll be doing other shows in Europe or potentially on the Festival Circuit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll play Download in June. Never know.
By Ally
Glad to see that Ella has a mention, but please do not forget Nat Cole and Bing Crosby chaps! Without these three the world would be a sadder place.
By Sharpie
steve355 wrote: The true queen of cheese is Doris Day, who IMO is probably the best white female singer America ever invented.

Assuming that you are purely talking about the pop field I would challenge that (much as I like DD) and suggest Brenda Lee for that accolade.
By steve355
Ally wrote:Nat Cole

".... because I'm a shy guy.. wish I... was a sly ...guy ... then I... could say baby baby I love you... just like the guys in moving pictures all do."

Doesn't get much better than that :D 8)
By Rob S
...Karen Carpenter are made of cheese and not really that good IMO

I hope we never meet :lol:

I think Karen Carpenter has the best female voice ever.

End of!

Rob S
By kms
I have a recording of Aretha Franklin singing "Somewhere" from West Side Story that makes my toes curl.

I don't find that emotional attachment in opera despite having listened to a lot of it.Too contrived. Vibrato does not equal emotion.

But Robert Plant and " Since I've Been Loving You" does it as well.

And i wish i had met The Carpenters guitar player. " Goodbye to Love" and " Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" have fabulous solos.
By Morley
[quote='kms']

And i wish i had met The Carpenters guitar player. " Goodbye to Love" and " Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" have fabulous solos.[/quote]

Yes. They were superb vocal performances :wink:

OK, I'll give you the drift here as they were indeed ultimate solo instrument performances and a vocalist is exactly that - a solo instrument.

John Tavener, The Lamb and the Guards chapel choir's Silent Night are on the list too.
By Sharpie
kms wrote:And i wish i had met The Carpenters guitar player. " Goodbye to Love" and " Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" have fabulous solos.

He deserves to be named.

Tony Peluso. :thumright:
By DRJADewar
[quote='kms']Vibrato does not equal emotion.[/quote]

Yes, I always try to get choirs to sing without vibrato - largely because it fits with my choral speciality of early and pre-baroque music.

I know absolutely nothing of popular music, though, and must admit to that fact. Have always avoided it.