A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Foo Gee
Following on from Wonko identifying that I'd seen Ministry at Milton Keynes Bowl in '99 without realising it, I started to wonder who else I'd seen without realising/remembering it.

The music festival scene was a must do for me every summer for many years and with so many acts at each event I now realise there are bands I've seen and subsequently forgotten.

A cursory search of festival lineups reveals some surprising detail. A typical example is Knebworth 1990 when (apparently) I saw Elton John and Cliff Richard. Shocking! We actually went to see Pink Floyd but there was also a whole host of other acts that I would never normally have bothered seeing.

I will trawl some other festivals and lineups when I get a moment because there's bound to be more but has anyone else seen an act and forgotten only to be reminded later - good and bad...?
By scuderia
God this is going to make me feel old :(

Just found a bag full of old t-shirts that I had picked up at various gigs. Including but not limited to Marillion x many. Rush, Show of Hands tour. Magnum, where the hell did the go Bob Catley and co. Ronnie James Dio, Deep Purple etc.

Scud
By wonko the sane
Interesting thread. I'll put some thought to it.

It's useful to use the wikipedia historical lineup listings of festivals. You'll find bands that you chose not to go and see because you weren't interested, but then discovered several years later and now wouldn't miss.
By wessex boy
I went to Phoenix festival in '97 as my Wife wanted to see Jamiraquoi, but whilst there we saw Sneakerpimps (brill), ABC (great), Gabrielle (so-so), Lamb (good), James Taylor Quartet (good) and there was one other band that was Prodigy-like, but made them sound like soft commercial rubbish and was absolutely brilliant...I can't remember what they were called.

I also saw/heard a number of bands rehearsing in the Drill Hanger at Bassingbourn Barracks during the '80s when I went to Air Cadets there, AC/DC, Eric Clapton, Motorhead and Pink Floyd.

The only band that actually noticed us peering in and invited us in for a private playing was AC/DC who played 8 of us 'Whole Lotta Rosie'!
Great guys, I wasn't a fan until then
By wonko the sane
[quote='wessex boy']and there was one other band that was Prodigy-like, but made them sound like soft commercial rubbish and was absolutely brilliant...I can't remember what they were called.
[/quote]

It wasn't Pitchshifter, was it?

The description matches the kind of stuff they were doing back then, and they did play one or more Phoenix festivals. One of the founding members was also in the Prodigy (Jim Davies), but Pitchshifter had/has a more rock influence.

If it was, then they're still around and still one of my favourite live bands. After a bit of a break they're just about to release a new album, and I'll be seeing them headline the Damnation Festival in a couple of weeks. Oh yes :D

[quote]
The only band that actually noticed us peering in and invited us in for a private playing was AC/DC who played 8 of us 'Whole Lotta Rosie'!
Great guys, I wasn't a fan until then[/quote]

Ooooh, you lucky, lucky ...

(I have tickets for their O2 gigs next year though :D )
By wessex boy
It wasn't Pitchshifter, I am going to have to get drunk and have some deep thought to try and remember, it was a 2 word name, Napalm Death come to mind, but it wasn't them, the first name was something to do with sound....

I have exposed my 5 year old Son to my AC/DC DVD, as he is learning the drums, and is starting to show some appreciation, he is probably not old enough to do a concert yet....

I saw them on the 'Blow up your Video' tour at Wembley in either '87 or '88
By Morley
Ian Dury and the Blockheads at their prime, also Dave Edmonds, Dr Feelgood and Van Morrison.

Saw Genesis too at their prime 15 times. Saddo. Bowie during the Ziggy Stardust tour and again during the serious moonlight tour. EWF, too late. 10CC, (didnt get it, do now) but the most memorable were a little known four girl harmony jazz band called the Pointer Sisters. Yes, the same ones but in 1973 before they were famous. Jeez, they were good. And hot!
[im[imgtp://www.herbgreenefoto.com/gallery/pointer_sisters/pointer-sisters-02.jpg[/img]
My fave was 2nd from right. Fnaaaaar.
By wessex boy
I was reminded today that I saw Aswad on Parkers Piece in Cambridge.
Terrible mimers as I recall....
By wonko the sane
Mike T wrote: I found a Men at Work and a Dire Straits programme.

Back when I was in a band , my drummer had a health problem and was seeing a doctor. His doctor told him he should make sure he stuck with drumming if that was what he enjoyed, as earlier in his life he'd been in a band and felt it was going nowhere, and so left to pursue his medical career. That band was Dire Straits !
Took a side trip on a recent outing to NYC to pay homage...

Meh, it was a **** hole of a venue. Apparently the "show me your tits and I'll give you a beer" policy only worked for women. It was worth a try, though
By ffg
The Thieving **** post reminded me I was at Plumpton in August 1970. I remember seeing Fotheringay, Cat Stevens, ISB, Pentangle, The Strawbs, Keef Hartley and others but I have no memory of Yes, Black Sabbath, or Peter Green.

Strange innit.
By wonko the sane
James Brown

I'd completely forgotten about that until watching The Blues brothers tonight.

He was as support for The Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hyde Park a few years ago. As I recall, he was excellent - much better than they were.

The Chili Peppers stopped being a good live band sometime around the end of the 90's.- if we're honest, it was when the drugs stopped. I remember seeing them in '99 at the Reading Festival and they were still wearing flaming helmets, lighbulb hats, and performing Mother's Milk stuff. Then they just became the dull corporate rock ballad band they are now. Such a shame.
By wonko the sane
Mike T wrote:And they ran out of socks.

:lol: :lol: I'd forgotten about that.
By wonko the sane
Iggy Pop.

Just remembered tonight, whilst trying to recall the event I was at when I first heard Skunk Anansie. The event was the Sex Pistols Filthy Lucre tour, and was an all day outtdoor thing. The only other bands I recall from that day were the ever wonderful The Wildhearts and the absolutely appalling on the day Buzzcocks.