A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Foie Gras
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My 1st born has a major birthday coming up and when asked for his present desires, he replied that he would like a new bass guitar.

I went shopping with him on Sat in Denmark St in London and didn't really come out any wiser than we went in.

The budget is under £400 and his musical (?) tastes are System of a Down, Metallica etc.

Out of the ones we looked at the Yamaha was one of the favourites.

FG
By jodella
I'll pass your query on to my bassist friends in rock bands...
By Merlin83b
Our bassist plays a Yamaha. A good playing, good sounding instrument - I'm not sure of the model but it has active pickups and likely came in some way under £400.
By eltonioni
I know little about them, but having been looking myself I can tell you that you will get a Mexican Fender Precision bass within that budget. As much as like my Yamaha Strat' I'll be swapping for the real thing when my playing justifies it (one day never :) ) .

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.as ... de=EG00042

Edit: looks great in white http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.as ... de=EG00504
By Merlin83b
I gather the Mexican models aren't worth it - our old bassist didn't like his, at any rate...
By jodella
Input from a colleague:

"Yamaha make some very good starter basses. I would suggest a secondhand bass though - the two bass forums I frequent often have some very nice stuff going in the sub £400 range - I would say you could spend a lot less than that and still get a very decent instrument - add a Peavey Microbass as practice amp and they're sorted.

I can do some looking around for you if you want?"
By Sharpie
The mexican Fenders are actually great instruments. I can understand purists preferring the US Fenders (I have only US Fender guitars) and they are better but there is nothing wrong with a Mexican Fender. The wood is less select and the electrics are slightly cheaper in construction but I would probably be hard pressed to tell between a Mex and a US Fender bass..

That Fender Mexican Precision would be a great choice. Personally I would prefer it to a Yamaha and it will have a better second hand value when he comes to upgrade it.

I'm not at all surprised that you were bemused by your trip down Denmark Street!
There are many better (and cheaper) music shops out in the provinces. Two I can particularly recommend are Guitar Village in Farnham and Coda in Stevenage or Luton. They have excellent web sites.
By Merlin83b
I checked on the bass our bassist uses last night - it's a Yamaha RBX374, available at around £175. I really like the sound it gives, he says it's great to play.
By Morley
As basses go all new Fenders are $hite and not worth the money. Your kid, if he likes that type of music wouldnt like one anyway as its an old guys guitar.

[i[imgttp://www.gear4music.com/media/8870/600/preview.jpg[/img]

This one is under 90 quid. [url=http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Metal-V-Bass-Guitar-by-Gear4music-Black/8OS]Who [/url]cares what it sounds like?

[img]http://www.gear4music.com/media/8962/600/preview.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-SR300-Bass-Guitar-Candy-Apple/8RK]This one[/url] is a much better guitar.
By Sharpie
[quote='Morley']As basses go all new Fenders are $hite and not worth the money. Your kid, if he likes that type of music wouldnt like one anyway as its an old guys guitar.
[/quote]

Bit harsh that, Steve!
Perhaps I'm getting old - have pointy guitars come back into fashion?
By Morley
Don't listen to me. I've only been playing bass guitar for 35 years.
If you want a Fender bass it needs to be a US one at least 25 years old. Preferably ore CBS if you can get one.
My Fender Jazz is a 1971 US model. It simply doesn't compare with new ones.
As for pointy guitars look at the original post. They never went out of fashion for that music. Kiss are still touring.
By eltonioni
I noted that Kylie's guitarist uses a pointy guitar on the current tour. Fashion or gay icon? : (Kiss do have a lot of spandex :? )

That Ibanez... what else would come in that sort of band?
By Foie Gras
....and the verdict is....

...he's gone for an Ibanez, not quite the model you post Steve, but v similar and costing £295.00

After trying about 30, he says it's the one that he felt best with and he liked the sound of.

Cheers,

FG
By Morley
Good choice.

If the budget was a little higher i wouldve recommended this. I have played it and the finish, workmanship, action, playability and sound are all of a guitar twice the price.
By PeteSpencer
Fascinating thread for me, a non-musician.

When do bass players choose a 5- or 6- string bass?

Peter