A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Morley
It'll be very interesting to see how the cast and band react when the audience applaud after every number.

I wonder who the page 3,4 and 5 bird will be?
By Morley
..and the paper will cost a tenor

I'll get me baton
By Jim and Pat Dalton
Well Pat bought the current bun this am and we are in the lottery for this event apparently

To save your 35p on the paper, just go to http://www.thesun.co.uk/opera

Not that I'm a saint by any means(read Carp), but I couldn't help notice as I went through the process, the poor grammar on the ROH web site.

Jim
By Timothy
Steve,

It is normal to applaud every number in major opera houses.

I know it's not quite the same as at the Old Town Hall, but maybe there are too many Sun readers in Staines.
By wonko the sane
Just hope that the aircon is working. Last time I went to the ROH mid summer (to see ballet, mind, not opera), it was broken and dear god it gets stuffy in there - and that's in the posh seats.

Beautiful building, though.
By Morley
and whoop, and film it on their mobiles, and text all the way through, and chat like they are sitting at home watching it on video.
By Jim and Pat Dalton
Morley wrote:and whoop, and film it on their mobiles, and text all the way through, and chat like they are sitting at home watching it on video.

Didn't realise you were planning on going, Steve??? :wink:

jim
By Morley
Cheeky. Unlike some I always see a trip the the ROH as a treat for me and the others there so I would never attend in jeans and trainers. I do find it a bit sad that some people, sometimes on a point of principle, refuse to dress up for what is a very special occasion. I love dressing up. Spesh in CENSORED
By scuderia
Off to see the Baber of Seville next month, which will be a great treat, probably with an overnight in London to boot.

Scud
By Sharpie
Morley wrote:Cheeky. Unlike some I always see a trip the the ROH as a treat for me and the others there so I would never attend in jeans and trainers. I do find it a bit sad that some people, sometimes on a point of principle, refuse to dress up for what is a very special occasion. I love dressing up. Spesh in CENSORED

I understand what you're saying here and I also will dress up to go to the ballet or opera.

However, there is an argument that states that this is all to elevate the music into a kind of superior state. Aficionados will promote this but maybe that is doing the genre a disservice.
In keeping it elitist, which dressing up could contribute to, you are denying the experience to a vast section of the populace who may actually get to like the music but who otherwise would steer clear of it.
Certainly from what I hear the promoters and the musicians all enjoyed the atmosphere at the Sun do.
By Timothy
I dress for Glyndebourne but little else. I go to theatre, opera or concerts several times a week and can only manage that because I go in whatever I am wearing. That might be jeans or suit and tie. It's irrelevant AFAIAC.
By Gerard Clarke
At Glyndebourne the idea formed by Christie when he set the thing up was that you wear evening dress to honour the artists. A trip to Glyndebourne is also an occasion, as it involves a journey and taking at least half a day off if going on a week day, and it's often a trip done with friends and family. Dressing up in black tie is optional but I think that it adds to the sense of occasion.

In London I usually wear a lounge suit to the opera, but that's my usual everyday dress anyway. I rather like formal dress for distinct occasions, such as morning dress for weddings, although I am not sure if I have a clearly defined reason for this. I was at a funeral the other week, wearing a dark suit, black necktie and white shirt as usual, and felt that a few blokes who turned up in open necked shirts and pale suits were in some way showing some discourtesy to the family of the dead man. I am quite prepared to accept that this may be a silly viewpoint, as the important thing may be turning up, but it's how I felt.
By Steve D
Gerard Clarke wrote: I was at a funeral the other week, wearing a dark suit, black necktie and white shirt as usual, and felt that a few blokes who turned up in open necked shirts and pale suits were in some way showing some discourtesy to the family of the dead man. I am quite prepared to accept that this may be a silly viewpoint, as the important thing may be turning up, but it's how I felt.

I guess that would largely depend on he sensibilities of the dead man and his family. I went to a funeral about 3 weeks ago. It was a green burial, with a wicker coffin. My friend was buried in cargo pants and a black sweater which was exactly how we all remember him. Most of his friends & family dressed up, but not in suits and ties, we merely took care with our appearance in his honour. Wearing a suit would, in the context, have been an irrelevance to him and his family, though if that was what would have made you most comfortable (many of the retired and elderly mourners dressed in suits & black ties) of course that would have been appropriate.

As for going to the theatre or concerts, I don't go as often as Timothy so don't have his practical considerations, but I like to make the effort to feel smart to honour the occasion. That rarely includes a tie, but usually requires a decent shirt and probably jacket.
By Gerard Clarke
This funeral was of an elderly ex soldier and was very trad. It's the sensibilities of the family that matter, the dead bloke being dead and therefore beyond insult.