A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Swift
Yep, you going to any festivals this year ? Download?
By sasshaun
Hey

I cant make download this year . . . u?

I toured a bit with my old band http://www.enteramenti.com we played in russia , and all around the uk

Check them out!
By wonko the sane
[quote='sasshaun']

I toured a bit with my old band www.enteramenti.com we played in russia , and all around the uk

[/quote]

Yes, some people in this forum are listening to metal. Not much of it is at Download this year, though.

It's a small world. I know Mike, your singer - or, should I say, singer of your ex-band. I met him through the Download forums (and the 'fan forum' thing that we do there). I saw you play a couple of times, actually. Last time was at the FreakyFest Christmas bash in Liverpool last year. Hey, I even bought the album !

I thought, last time I talked to Mike, that Amenti were going to stop working under that name (especially after all the fun and games with John Knight last year). Funnily enough, there was an opportunity for them to play Download this year - well, sort of. The boardie barbecue on the Thursday had a band last year (Scumface) and Amenti were one of the bands discussed for playing it this year. So - could have opened the festival!

So, I guess you're learning to fly then?
By sasshaun
Hi there!

yeh there was a few problems with the destruction tour and the band rep and a lot of "****" so to speak went on, and that was the main reason I left! aswell as other commitments, I still speak to the guys occasionaly so no hard feelings.

Yeh the liverpool gig was my second to last gig, was quite cool, only bit people seemed to enjoy was the Slayer cover tho! lol! that and the burlesque dancer (wow)

So yep! learning to fly is my new challenge in life, small world indeed!!!!

And hope you liked the album :D
By wonko the sane
[quote='sasshaun']Hi there!
Yeh the liverpool gig ... was quite cool, ... and the burlesque dancer (wow) [/quote]
She was really sweet actually, and very professional. Freaky (Chris - the organiser) reminded me last week that I actually found her for him - I'd forgotten. She (and another) are turning up on a few of his bills now - it's a great way to fill the gaps between bands.
[quote]
So yep! learning to fly is my new challenge in life, small world indeed!!!!
[/quote]
And smaller when you start crossing it in the air - so good luck with that. Training can have its ups and downs (pardon the pun) but stick with it and you'll be rewarded.
By steve355
I'm a pretty big metal fan, or at least have been in my time. Slayer, Pantera, Metallica etc. Not so up with the latest scene.

So which band & album are you associated with sasshaun?
By scuderia
Maybe we should have a metal fest fly in????

Scud
By wonko the sane
scuderia wrote:Maybe we should have a metal fest fly in????

Scud

I'm at the Download Festival weekend after next. I had intended to rent a C172 out of East Midlands and take a couple of friends up to photograph the site in full flow. Didn't quite get around to arranging it until too late, and now can't find anyone hiring Cessnas at the airport.

Shame.

But yeah, metal fest fly in would do it for me. Long Marston for The Bulldog Bash maybe. It's more about bikes than music, but The Wildhearts are headlining !
By sasshaun
Hi Wonko how was download?

Steve - I used to be associated with Amenti. www.enteramenti.com , I was the guitarist, left about 6 months ago now

A metal fly in would be cool! but I need to pass my PPL first lol
By wonko the sane
[quote='sasshaun']Hi Wonko how was download?[/quote]

Well, as ever, I had a great time. Got an early entry for doing a bit of helping out so arrived Tuesday afternoon, left a bit late on Monday - so first in, last out :D

I go RIP so spent a lot of time chilling in hospitality when I wasn't watching bands or crashed out on the hill. Oh, met up with Mike a few times - he didn't know you were learning to fly.

I like the new site and main arena. Second stage was full size this year, so no capacity problems there. The overall crowd was purposely smaller this year, but that's getting resolved next year.

Band highlights for me were
[list:d8b817a440][b]Pendulum[/b] - imagine 25,000 metalheads jumping the f*** up like they were at a rave.
[b]Wildhearts[/b] - I'm a big Ginger/Wildhearts fan - and I think they gained a lot of new fans there this year
[b]Skindred [/b]- and I met Benjii - I rate him as one of the best frontmen on the circuit
[/list:u:d8b817a440]
Honorouble mentions go to
[list:d8b817a440]
[b]Airbourne[/b] - H&S must have had kittens when he climbed the rigging to attach an Aussie flag to the lighting, and then played his guitar up there!
[b]Municipal Waste[/b] - big, big pit
[b]Ted Maul [/b]- finished on "for the innocent", which always sends shivers up my spine
[b]Rose Tattoo [/b]- but that's 'cos I've waited 17 years to hear them play "Nice Boys (Don't play Rock & Roll)" and they didn't let me down
[/list:u:d8b817a440]

First time ever I've watched all the main stage headliners (and yes, that means I saw Lostprophets not Cavalera Conspiracy - but I didn't know it was going to be a Sepultura's greatest hits set). Kiss were okay, but I didn't stay until the end. Motorhead and Judas Priest were pretty good too, but I prefer Motorhead on a small stage.

Oh, and I saw the now infamous Bizzle set. That man must have big steel cohones that clang when he walks. Regardless of what you read, he turned that audience around (and there were plenty of people there) in two songs. The whole place was up. It was, however, the most brutal bottling I've seen for some time.
By sasshaun
you actually watched Lost Prophets and didn't vomet? hats off to you sir!!!

Yeh I have met Benji before, awesome awesome front man . . . but very very arrogant!!!

Glad you had fun mate, what did mike have to say?
By wonko the sane
[quote='sasshaun']you actually watched Lost Prophets and didn't vomet? hats off to you sir!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, yeah yeah, I know :D I wanted to see them, but never enough to buy a ticket. I enjoyed them. I wasn't fussed on the Cavalera stuff - I've seen Sepultura a couple of times recently and loved that, but Max and Iggor's one album with thin material didn't seem to be enough to get me to walk to that stage. Oh, and you couldn't drag me to see Jonathon Davies - not a Korn fan, and not fussed on his solo stuff at all either.
[quote]
Yeh I have met Benji before, awesome awesome front man . . . but very very arrogant!!!
[/quote]

So I've heard, but he seemed nice enough. He knew a couple of the guys we were with and started chatting. Seemed very interested in what the Damnation Festival guys were doing this year (apparently they've got a killer headliner lined up by the way, and none of them would reveal who it was even when drunk - but they reckon they'll sell their tickets, and it's 3,500-4000 capacity this year)

[quote]Glad you had fun mate, what did mike have to say?[/quote]

Not much, really - usual festival kind of chat. He was vocally pi**ed off about being dropped from playing the boardie BBQ slot (ForeverNever played instead). And in fairness, there was a whole bunch of "politics" around it (guess why).

He's keeping Amenti going, which is good to hear - although he has no guitarists at the moment. Makes it a bit difficult, obviously, but as I understand it they can do one offs, but not think about writing/recording/touring.

He seemed to be having a good time. Well, he was smiling a lot. I don't think he took his hat off all weekend. That said, since he's taken the dreads off I bet his head gets colder.

I was reminded of when we bumped into him in the campsite last year with the best method of carrying his stuff to where he was camping. Basically he'd loaded it up into a big green wheelie bin - beer at the bottom, tent at the top - and we met him pushing that up the fields. Genius idea - can't understand why more people didn't think of that.
By Swift
Went to Dublin last month to see Metallica, they were good value on for just over 2 hours, Tenacious D were the support act.
By wonko the sane
Swift wrote:Went to Dublin last month to see Metallica, they were good value on for just over 2 hours, Tenacious D were the support act.

I'd quite like to see Tenacious D. Very silly. I caught some of their set on the Reading Festival TV coverage.

Metallica I can take or leave. I am, for example, not taking up the offer of a spare ticket to their special one off album launch gig at the O2 tomorrow.

I've seen them 3 times now and they've been pretty inconsistent. They were okayish at Big Day Out in 1999, they were absolutely stunning at the Download Festival in 2006, and they were very dull at Wembley Stadium last year, so I left early.