A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By jodella
Keef wrote:Daughter 2 did the grade 5 theory thing so she could go to grade 8 on the flute.

The result of doing the theory was that she bought a grand piano. I never did quite suss the logic of that, but she loves playing Rachmaninov on said piano, and the flute is languishing in a drawer.

Women, eh! :wink:

Did she abandon the flute immediately after buying the grand piano?

I can totally relate to the lure of the piano though. I'm pretty sure the theory exams don't expire, which is a good thing, as it'll be years before I'm ready to sit grade six piano :lol: Keef, as a gentlemen of relative leisure, if you took up piano now you'd likely progress pretty quickly if you were keen :P
By Keef
It's the relative leisure thing that's the issue, coupled with my total lack of manual dexterity. I can happily plink out a tune on the piano, but I can't read a full stave of music and translate it into where my fingers go. I know, cos I've tried. Lots.

I can send morse at a pretty good speed, but I can't talk while I'm doing it - this brain can only handle one conversation at a time. I realised the significance of this while chatting with the organist before services: he carries on playing the voluntary while he's talking to me - I couldn't do that.

Daughter takes after her mum in this regard. They both have perfect pitch, and are "natural musicians".

Her flute comes out occasionally, and is a lovely sound when she plays it. But she can express her mood/temperament etc far more on the piano. She quite often plays it for several hours in one go. Her husband can tell from what's being played whether to stay in his study (they have one each) or not.

I'm pretty good on the CD player, though.