A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By wonko the sane
I've not commented in this sub-forum because I've made a patronising assumption that I'm the only aviator here whose biggest musical passion is for very heavy rock/metal.

But there I was, reading the forum, and listening to Fear Factory's "Spinal Compression" (the chorus of which still makes hairs stand up on my arm) and I thought - well, it's worth asking ...

Anyone else find that it's just not right until the blood is pouring out of your ears ?

[I should say, before the flames roll in, that my musical taste is in fact very diverse - but hard industrial rock really is what really does it for me]
By steve355
I'm into all kinds of music in equal measures, and fairly extreme metal does it for me, in varyng doses. I used to be right into sepultura, pantera, slayer, machine head etc.

Some of it is very artistic, in its own way. Much of it is utter Carp though. But the same can be said of all musical genres.
By wonko the sane
steve355 wrote:I'm into all kinds of music in equal measures, and fairly extreme metal does it for me, in varyng doses. I used to be right into sepultura, pantera, slayer, machine head etc.

Some of it is very artistic, in its own way. Much of it is utter Carp though. But the same can be said of all musical genres.

Well, exactly. And, more to the point, what is good and what isn't is down to personal taste. Out of your list there, for example, I've never "got" Slayer - I've seen them live a couple of times and just don't see it.
Just picked up tickets for Sepultura though - they were great last year,regardless of what people say about the new lineup.
Pantera I thought were good, but not the gods they were raised to after Dimebag got shot.
And Machine Head I've seen a few times in the last year or so - and always enjoyed - but I think "The Blackening" is a bit over the top and really doesn't translate to the stage.
By scuderia
Well I can't get to grips with Sepultura and Roots bloody Roots, and Machine Head and Cradle of Filth just doesn't do it for me, but Lamb of God now thats different but don't know why.

My current fave at the moment is Nightwish which seems to hit the spot as does Billy Talent.

scud
By wonko the sane
scuderia wrote:Well I can't get to grips with Sepultura Roots bloody Roots

I'd never really heard much Sepultura until a couple of years ago - and that's the first album I picked up. Rattamahatta just blew me away. However, it's very different to most of their other stuff. I'm not a huge fan, but certainly am not missing their appearance next month.

Machine Head and Cradle of Filth just doesn't do it for me

Machine Head I do enjoy - though I don't think they're the next gods of rock that the industry is making them out to be. They put on pretty good performances at Download and Metallica this year, but I'd like to see them do a longer set.

Cradle of Filth - well, yes, I can't say it does it for me. More "fun" live than you'd expect, though.

Lamb of God now thats different but don't know why.

An excellent live band - they know how to stir up a circle pit. Yes - not bad stuff at all.

My current fave at the moment is Nightwish which seems to hit the spot as does Billy Talent.

Now, Billy Talent I haven't heard - but I've heard about. Nightwish - are they the female fronted band who just replaced their singer ? I'm sure I have some of that around?
By scuderia
wonko the sane wrote:Now, Billy Talent I haven't heard - but I've heard about. Nightwish - are they the female fronted band who just replaced their singer ? I'm sure I have some of that around?

I have Billy Tallent II and various Nightwish (yes just changed there lead singer) on the PC at home.

Scud