A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By wessex boy
Got to have dots....... :oops:
By poetpilot
Check out the Simon & Patrick range of electro-accoustics. Superb guitars that are (arguably) as good as a Takemine, for bargain prices (c.
By nobby
i've a takamine EN10-C as my electro-accoustic....lovely even for a complete novice like me (I'd had it for years, but just never stuck to the basics!)

Bass wise, I got ye old faithful @ 18 and never needed anything else since (ye old faithful is a fender precission)

latest edition is a epiphone les gibson

One day i will learn how to play these....I have the time nowadays...but I fill it with flying when I can....
By JoeC
poetpilot wrote:as good as a Takemine, for bargain prices (c.
By wessex boy
I am taking the horrendous step of selling almost all of my treasured HiFi to replace it with a Home-Cinema System :shock:
Sooo I will be sticking my Rega Planar 3 Turntable and my Quad 77 Amp and CD player onto eBay tonight.
I have ordered a soon-to-be-discontinued Yamaha RXV 559DAB receiver from Amazon and will fund some rear and centre speakers & Cabling from the sale of the above...

The reason I mention it here? Because my Wife insisted that I order the Yamaha whilst it is half price, and have paid for it with real money, it means that I should have a healthy surplus in paypal from the sale of the other stuff...having decided that Accoustic would be the next step, I am then faced with another quandary:

Acoustic Guitar or Headset?

I am still borrowing the club's headsets and sooo want my own, what to do? :?
By poetpilot
I'm talking the more upmarket Takemines in the 900-1500 price range. The S&P compares also favourably to some of the Martins. They are a good buy because they are well set up, have a nice sound, and will therefore encourage you to play better and more.

Not just my opinion, I was recommended to them by a couple of pros.
By Stephen Morley
Yes but when a couple of pros say "Takemine not Martins" They are probably not talking about music.
By steve355
Stephen Morley wrote:Yes but when a couple of pros say "Takemine not Martins" They are probably not talking about music.

True, but it depends what you want to use them for. Martins are very country. If you want a country acoustic, they are fab. But they are rubbish for rock or pop.

I have a Taylor, which is the best of all worlds, being a great all round acoustic that make nice country, jazz, rock, pop, blues etc. noises.

Dunno about takamines though. History says they are average - not in the martin/taylor class. But perhaps they have improved. But you can't get a "really good" acoustic guitar for less than a grand.

But whenever I play a Martin I wish I had one. And I wish I had a national/dobro too. And a Brian Setzer gretsch. And a strat. And a tele.

That's why I don't go in guitar shops. :?
By steve355
Doh ..... I just got Steve's joke. Slow day today. 8)