A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Stephen Morley
Georges "most up to date record ever bought" made me cast my mind back to 1969. I was 16, into the kind of prog rock Gerard hates and at the time the Major rec lables did sampler albums. My first ever purchase cost 14/6d and was an Islend records Sampler called "Nice Enough to Eat" featuring the best tracks from albums by Free, King Crimson, Traffic, Mott the Hoople, Jethro Tull, Nick Drake and loads more.

I have been loking for it since with no success.
By KevinH
Lilly the pink*

*the pink, the pink.
By steve355
"Hurry up Harry" by Sham 69.

:D
By wessex boy
Skyhawk-N wrote:"Remember you're a Womble" by The Wombles 8)

I was slightly later, mine was 'Womble Burrow Boogie'!

My parents bought me 'chirpy chirpy, cheep cheep' at a similar time... :oops:
By George
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember that sampler Steve! They did some good ones in the 70s...

My first one was in 1962ish - Shadows to the Fore - great pun (!) a 4 track EP featuring Apache and three other tracks wot I cannot remember!
By Rob S
I think it was 'bought for me' by my sisters. I remember my gradfather gave us all enough money to buy a single (6/8d) and they told me I would like 'Sugar and Spice' by the Searchers. I got my own back though because when it got scratched to buggary I used Gloy glue (remember that) because I thought it would help mend it.

Rob S
By Flyingfemme
Sindy meets the Dollybeats :oops:

My little brother bought Do Wah Diddy by Manfred Mann on the same day....
By pilotbob
Ooh er! I must be the same age as Rob S. My first was "Telstar" also 6/8d :wink:
By dhs
By GrahamB
Stephen Morley wrote: My first ever purchase cost 14/6d and was an Islend records Sampler called "Nice Enough to Eat" featuring the best tracks from albums by Free, King Crimson, Traffic, Mott the Hoople, Jethro Tull, Nick Drake and loads more.

I have been loking for it since with no success.

Fantastic - that was my second ever album buy!!! :lol: :lol: :thumleft: .

The first was similar, a bluesy one called 'Gutbucket' with Captain Beefheart, The Groundhogs, Lightnin' Hopkins and many others. :afro:

And I still have them, scratches and all 8)

GrahamB

PS want a listen, next time you come to Welshpool?
By GrahamB
However, the first time I bought a record was when my dad sent me down to the local shop to buy 'It's all over now' by the Stones for him.

GrahamB
By Stephen Morley
Ah! Telstar. In 1981 during the ska re-revolution I was in a band called the Ska-Dows (guess what our first singlewas).

The second was a ska version of Telstar and we received a letter ftom the Joe Meek apreciation society telling us that it was the best version they had heard.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skadows
By Stephen Morley
Interesting piece of trivia. The cover of "Apache" was drawn by Chester Kamen, son of the fasmous film and other stuff composer, Michael. He is a superb guitarist who has played with everyone from Roger walters to Robbie Williams.

He also drew the cover of "Telstar" which had us in spacesuits dancing round someone tied to a sputnik.