To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've just opened the new magazine and the annual Learn To Fly Guide.

What a pity that Leia's 'Flying On A Budget piece' is tucked away, when 'Buy All This Stuff' is spread over two pages. Is this the right emphasis? I suggest it's completely the wrong way round. Whether deliberate or accidental, that spread perpetuates the idea that Pilots Are People With Big Watches. Not a big draw, in my opinion.

Firstly, buying all or some of that stuff is absurd for students; instructors will suggest what you need and when. Secondly, it implies that you have to have a flight bag (really?), a tablet (really?) a kneeboard (really?)... I doubt I'm the only one who learned without any of these. I bought my headset as a PPL reward to self and a few other things as needed/desired.

If we want to encourage people to think flying is still affordable, Leia's piece needs to be far more prominent and the 'how to spend additional money' in a sidebar, somewhere else, if anywhere.

When I pass this guide on to someone, as I will at some stage, the first thing I will do is put a sticker on p16 saying Ignore All This. Read Page 12. Or, more likely, I'll pass them the LAA version, which has felt far more accessible to the likes of me .

Rant mode Off. I'm going to the airfield.