To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm getting a message when trying to preview / submit a message of:
Access Denied! Your address is blacklisted. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

The IP address is: 213.233.149.25

This ip address is being used in a local mobile access point (not owned by me but by a major consultancy firm) connected to Vodaphone Ireland.

(I'm obviously sending this from a different PC)
By markrich
Flyer Person
That IP address is blacklisted according to Spamhaus on at least one register.

http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/213.233.149.25

You will need to contact the provider of the service to get it unlisted.

The site is protecting itself against blacklisted IPs to prevent it being hit by unscrupulous individuals, spambots and DDoS attacks etc. It checks with Spamhaus on each connection to ensure the request is coming from somewhere safe.
By davey
My laptop is now Access denied ?? But my Android phone isn't, however my laptop connects via my phone. Any ideas how I can fix this ?
By Keef
It happens a lot these days. Spambots take over someone's PC unbeknown to them, then send a few million spams using that person's connection. Their IP address rapidly gets blacklisted, and everyone else using that IP suffers.

There's not much you can do about it as the innocent party, other than wait for the blacklist to clear, or contact the ISP.

One of my ISPs is paranoid about this, and filters all outgoing mail. They bounced a perfectly innocent e-mail I was trying to send to the rest of the ministry team the other day - because it scored too highly on the Spamhaus scoresheet. Very sorry, Mr Keef Sir, but we're not going to make an exception for you.

They don't even tell you they donked it!
I now have to bcc myself on all messages and wait to see if the bcc returns.

Blame the Nigerian 419ers and their heirs and successors
By davey
In my case who is the ISP ?

I connect via the mobile hotspot on my HTC phone.
By davey
Now that's interesting, I posted that via "the backdoor" so to speak. Instead of logging in on page one I typed a reply and when trying to post it, it then asked for my log in and it worked :scratch:
By markrich
Flyer Person
davey wrote:In my case who is the ISP ?

Your ISP, if connecting via your phone, is the company who provides your data service; 3, Vodafone, Eeeeeeee,Virgin, Tesco, or O2, etc.
By Jon Mercer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've been having similar issues today. They appear to be resolved.
By markrich
Flyer Person
achean wrote:I've been having similar issues today. They appear to be resolved.

ISPs often recycle IP addresses for connections. There are only so many to go around and sometimes you get a blacklisted one. It's all a bit random and unfortunate. Some broadband providers, like VirginMedia, keep you on the same IP for a while however when the router gets restarted by the provider or by yourself, then it may pick up a different one. I had the same IP at home for months until a firmware update was sent to the router.

If you do find yourself on a blacklist, as Keef says, you are unlikely to know at first but you may get some email blocked. It all depends how tollerent the receiver is and if they're checking against a blacklist or not. The forums do check to prevent or minimise attacks.

Often these things are transitory. They will pass as quickly as they come.
By markrich
Flyer Person
markrich wrote:
achean wrote:I've been having similar issues today. They appear to be resolved.

ISPs often recycle IP addresses for connections. There are only so many to go around and sometimes you get a blacklisted one. It's all a bit random and unfortunate. Some broadband providers, like VirginMedia, keep you on the same IP for a while however when the router gets restarted by the provider or by yourself, then it may pick up a different one. I had the same IP at home for months until a firmware update was sent to the router.

If you do find yourself on a blacklist, as Keef says, you are unlikely to know at first but you may get some email blocked. It all depends how tollerant the receiver is and if they're checking against a blacklist or not. The forums do check to prevent or minimise attacks.

Often these things are transitory. They will pass as quickly as they come.
By davey
markrich wrote:
davey wrote:In my case who is the ISP ?

Your ISP, if connecting via your phone, is the company who provides your data service; 3, Vodafone, Eeeeeeee,Virgin, Tesco, or O2, etc.

Thanks Mark, in my case it's 3.
By Timothy
I have had this once today on a T-Mobile MiFi, but I resubmitted and it just worked.
By Keef
Sometimes, I'm glad of my fixed IP address!
By markrich
Flyer Person
Keef wrote:Sometimes, I'm glad of my fixed IP address!

Sometimes I'm glad of my secure VPN to hosted German cloud server with optional proxy to US (and fixed IP) :P