To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I see that Flyer have announced that .flyer websites and email addresses are not going to be free for us Mag subscribers (or anyone else) from the end of June.

Its a shame as its nice to have a webpage with a flyer address coupled to a flyer email.

John
http://www.rochesterairport.flyer.co.uk
http://www.gardanhorizon.flyer.co.uk
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I see that Flyer have announced that .flyer websites and email addresses are not going to be free for us Mag subscribers (or anyone else) from the end of June.

Still possible, and still free to anyone who buys their broadband through Houxou.

Sadly the free email and webspace no longer works as a model (it was based on Telco revenue sharing for the provider, Houxou).

Brgds

Ian
By Flying_john
I think if you want to keep your flyer email address its about £1.50 / month.

I am not sure whether there will be a re-direct service offered for email if you do not take up the offer.

In the first email I received they did offer a re-direct for webpage addresses, but I havent really got anywhere with an enquiry about putting a redirection file on the www.rochesterairport.flyer.co.uk site to its new home at www.rochester-airport.co.uk

John
By dweston
Just had this eMail and I have no idea what it means

"...Unfortunately this upgrade requires you to change your login credentials. Currently you may have been able to login to the mail server using just your username part of the email i.e. dweston

On Thursday during the evening we will be moving your account over to the new servers and this will require you to change your account username to your account email address i.e. dweston<at>dweston.flyer.co.uk Your existing password will be still be accepted (unless I have already advised you of a change.)

I’m sorry that change is needed, but this will allow you to setup additional email accounts on your domain each with their own mailbox and password."

Does this mean that all of the standard emails I have been getting for many years will no longer work, and my business cards will need to be reprinted with a new address?

None of this is at all clear and the use of tech-speak to inform us of what is happening is very frustrating.Perhaps I might just as well dump the address and go somewhere else that doesn't b*gg*r us about.
By Keef
What it says is that your e-mail address stays the same, but that the name you use to log in to your mail changes from dweston to dweston <at> dweston.flyer.co.uk

You will need to change the relevant setting in your mail client software - Thunderbird, or Outlook, or whatever you use.

I've removed the @ from your e-mail address to prevent address harvester robots from grabbing it and sending you spam.
By Flying_john
Original Post Deleted by Flying_John

FOR FTP TO YOUR FLYER SITE YOU WILL HAVE RECEIVED A MAIL TELLING YOU A NEW FTP NAME TO USE.
FOR EXAMPLE rochesterairport became rochesterair_ftp

ROCHESTER aIRPORT SITE NOW AT WWW.ROCHESTER-AIRPORT.CO.UK
Last edited by Flying_john on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Keef
Flying_john wrote:Doh... Now the ftp doesnt work, so I cant even put a redirect script up, or make any sites changes.

Give Moira a call. I've always found her very helpful.
By dweston
My email gave up this morning. I spent over an hour trying to make the changes exactly as described in the instructions without success and have been trying to get through to the support desk which seems (hardly surprisingly) busy at the moment.

I just love IT upgrades. They always go so smoothly :roll:

I hope they sort it soon.
By Irv Lee
I did nothing at all, and when it received mail for the first time this morning, it offered me a screen to overtype 'higherplane' so I just overtyped it with the new incantation 'phrase' based on higherplane, which I won't repeat here due scanners, pressed enter, and it sorted itself out, permanently by the look of it.
By Peter Gristwood
I did the same - on my Outlook a dialog box cam up and I changed it there. Will have to check if it works when I get home.

One problem I have is that my Blackberry I use when on the road doesn't recognise the account now. I've 'validated' the account but it fails to recognise the account and/or password

Any ideas?
By Irv Lee
Peter Gristwood wrote:I did the same - on my Outlook a dialog box cam up and I changed it there. Will have to check if it works when I get home.

One problem I have is that my Blackberry I use when on the road doesn't recognise the account now. I've 'validated' the account but it fails to recognise the account and/or password

Any ideas?

Yes, sell me the Blackberry very cheap and all these problems go away.
By vernongardner
For me at least the change went smoothly. I received communication. Got clarification on a couple of things I was unsure about. Made the necessary change this morning and sent and received email. From my perspective I wish all IT changes went as well as this did for me.

Not sure £18 a year is a fair price for an email account, but then I've enjoyed many years free email up until now and I don't have an expectation that anything worthwhile can be free for ever. In a way I'm surprised it's taken this long for charges to come in - so thanks Flyer.