To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I thought it was worth providing a bit of background and a few pointers about the new website and the way we are now working, but first a very brief history as it adds useful context…

Until Covid came along we were happy producing 13 paper issues every year with a couple of specials thrown in from time to time (Learn to Fly, Helicopters etc.)

Then lockdown effectively closed the high street and retail outlets at airports, and magazine sales for pretty much all publishers fell off a cliff.

We took a decision to go fully digital, and moved quickly to put FLYER on issuu.com a site that hosts page turning PDF magazines. We increased video output, launched the Livestream, created The FLYER Club and uploaded an issue of FLYER every four weeks.

It became obvious that we would not return to a four-weekly printed magazine, and that meant that while we were enjoying some of the benefits of digital, we were also being constrained by the limitations of paper, even if it was being delivered in a digital format.

The new website removes those limitations and allows us to do things very differently. Traditionally a magazine team will create content over a month and then deliver all of that content in one go. Inevitably some of it is then out of date, and all of it is being sat on for purely production reasons. We now create content continually, and deliver new content every day, hence the tag line ‘Great content daily’. There’s just no reason not to deliver content as soon as it has been created.

Read FLYER on any device. Over 56% of people access the website on a mobile device. Page turning PDF solutions deliver a poor experience on mobile with extensive scrolling required to read through a feature, so we created a fully responsive website that delivers our content in a way that makes reading it easy whether on mobile, tablet or desktop.

Effectively, the magazine is delivered to you as we produce it. You’ll still find everything that was there before like flight tests, flying adventures, columns, news etc. but you’ll no longer have to wait four weeks for it to be delivered in one lump, you can read it as soon as it is ready, plus the site is fully searchable (we’ve also uploaded the last couple of year’s worth of content with more to come).

For some examples, take a look at some of the following categories

Flight Tests https://flyer.co.uk/category/flight-test/
Flying Adventures https://flyer.co.uk/category/flyingadventure/

Columns:
Mark Hales https://flyer.co.uk/column-category/full-throttle/
Dave Hirschman https://flyer.co.uk/column-category/unusual-attitude/
Ian Seager https://flyer.co.uk/column-category/squawks/

You can explore much much more by clicking the three bar hamburger menu (top left)

We also realise that some people will want to read our content when they have no internet access, so at the end of a four week period we will collate and generate a vertically scrolling PDF containing much of the month’s content. This will be available to download and read off-line, although we believe that our great content is best enjoyed online (regardless of device).

You might be asking (I certainly have) how this is all going to be paid for? As you will see from the site we have created a three-tier membership structure.

Basic - this is free. It will enable you to read the news, some special features and up to three other features per month once the paywall is switched on. It will give you access to these forums (although we will be introducing some member only areas). We will also do our best to persuade you to upgrade your membership.

Reader - this costs £30 per year and in addition to the Basic benefits it will give access to all of our content when the paywall is switched on. This level is ideal for people who perhaps live outside the UK, or people who are not interested in the member benefits.

Club Member - this will cost £52 per year, (the introductory offer of £30 per year ends in two weeks) . It will give you access to all of our content, all member only forum areas and all member benefits including the free landings, discounts and exclusive webinars and events. We think that’s great value at just £1 per week

If you are not a member you can join here https://flyer.co.uk/membership

To summarise, the site is much much more than a forum, it’s where we will deliver all of our content, hence our mantra ‘Great content daily’ .

Whether you are a member or not, you can sample all of our content for free for the next couple of weeks, but speaking candidly, to continue to deliver content, and to do even more, we need your support, so if you are not already a member, or if you are a basic member, please head over to our membership page and join the club.

Thanks

Ian
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On another note, how do I find out when my renewal is going to be? There's nothing in Billing about payment methods or renewal dates.

The reason I ask is that currently I'm on the £30/yr full club membership, and I'd rather not have the discount.

As you say, Ian, a quid a week is bloody good value and although I'll always, ahem, bring something to your attention if I think there's something that needs it, I think you guys generally do a great job and deserve the support.
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
[usermention=862]@TopCat[/usermention]

Regardless of renewal rate, you will get the £30/yr for the next 12 months. The £52/£1 week will be for new joiners after the paywall comes down (we will be flagging that at least a couple of weeks in advance, so it is at least two weeks away).

[usermention=7911]@townleyc[/usermention]

Currently no, you have to open the feature to see when it was published. When you say 'old stuff' - this is basically the same as a back issue library that we will be adding to over time.

Thanks

Ian
By Flyin'Dutch'
Ian, I want to congratulate you and the team, for having the insight and courage to use challenge of the covid pandemic to take such a courageous move and develop a whole new platform which will propel the platform into the the spotlight it deserves.

Godspeed to you all.

PS I think TC was referring to the mention in your post that Reader membership would be 30 pounds per month.
By TopCat
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
> Ian, I want to congratulate you and the team, for having the insight and
> courage to use challenge of the covid pandemic to take such a courageous
> move

Yes, I very much second that.

>
> PS I think TC was referring to the mention in your post that Reader
> membership would be 30 pounds per month.

:thumright:

But I would also like to go up to the £52/yr rate if possible. I can't even remember how I pay. Is is a DD? CC mandate?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
I think it's excellent, and great to see the conviction of pivoting the established ways to something new.

I'm still learning how to / when to read the content, as it's not as habitual as magazine lands on doormat : -> take magazine to read on the train to/from business trip - but I'm sure a pattern will emerge.
By TopCat
riverrock wrote:
> TopCat wrote:
>
> >
> > The reason I ask is that currently I'm on the £30/yr full club membership,
> > and I'd rather not have the discount.
> You could always buy membership for a friend.
> Then not tell them :clown:

Actually that might be fun. I could have a forum alter ego.

Maybe I already have one :twisted:
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Thanks for everyone's kind comments - and yes, despite staring at it for ages I didn't spot the £30/month error, now corrected. Thanks to everyone who pointed that out.

[usermention=862]@TopCat[/usermention] I'll find out how you pay and let you know via PM.

Thanks

Ian
TopCat liked this