To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two things:
1. At what point do I get "Flying Club Member" attached to my posts? Edit: Aha! Fixed already.
2. I choose the "Remember me" when I log in. Why is it necessary to logout and log back in to have the forum identify the "active" threads?

Apologies if already reported. I confess to not reading all eight pages.

Ta,

Grelly
By PeteSpencer
It pains me to say it but I am beginning to get mighty nobbed off with the inability to post, view or retrieve images not to mention the rubbish quotes system , the huge swathes of missing posts and the toadly haphazard PM process.

Is a resolution anywhere in sight?
TopCat liked this
By avtur3
PeteSpencer wrote:
> It pains me to say it but I am beginning to get mighty nobbed off with the
> inability to post, view or retrieve images not to mention the rubbish
> quotes system , the huge swathes of missing posts and the toadly haphazard
> PM process.
>
> Is a resolution anywhere in sight?

It pains me to say it .... but I agree with all of the above.

I am a none pilot member, but thought it was "the right thing to do" to sign up and pay for membership given that I enjoy the site and visiting the forum and reading the many and various posts from other members.

At this moment I am really struggling to see any advantages/improvements since the "so called" upgrade. I appreciate that may sound harsh to those working behind the scenes to deliver the upgrade, but what you really need to do is detach yourselves from the upgrade process and view the site from a members perspective. Unless I'm really missing something, I'm at a loss to see the improvements.

e.g. The "quoting" system on the forum for previous posts looks like a 10 years step back in time,, and all the "missing" previous posts make it unusable .

I'm sure there is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes, but I'm sorry to say those efforts are not resulting in an improvement for the user.
TopCat, T6Harvard, Rob P liked this
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:
> It pains me to say it but I am beginning to get mighty nobbed off with the
> inability to post, view or retrieve images not to mention the rubbish
> quotes system , the huge swathes of missing posts and the toadly haphazard
> PM process.
>

Totally agree. There's been a lot of goodwill towards Flyer from the membership here, but for me at least, it's starting to ebb.

This is an internet forum, goddammit. It hasn't been new technology for about 20 years. Why doesn't it work?

This place has been converted from something that generally worked very well, albeit with some very minor irritations, to a complete pile of stinking poo that causes irritation and head scratching whatever aspect of it you try to use.

There's also a complete lack of feedback about WTF is actually going on. Precisely why, for instance, can BBCode not be reinstated, given that that would presumably restore much of the missing functionality?

Are all the quoted posts created since the so-called 'upgrade' going to get mashed up all over again when the functionality is restored? Because if the text that is displayed with the '>' symbols indicating a quote is actually what's stored for the post on the database, I predict another right mess on the way.

Speaking just for myself, I don't give a damn about the shiny cosmetics, nor about a single signin.

What 'benefits' are there for the membership, rather than the IT team?
Nick liked this
By avtur3
The ineffectiveness of the quoting function is a major impediment to the functionality of the forum. Can we please have input from those "in the know" about improvements on this feature.

I've signed up and paid up to be a full on member of Flyer, because I thought it was the right thing to do, But in actuality what is on offer and the lack of communication about the problems is dreadful. Sorry guys but those "at the top" and "in the know" you are letting your subscribers down badly.

You may well be working your socks off behind the scenes, if you are then please tell us what you are doing. Please tell us what your priorities are, because it is difficult to believe that user experience is at the top of your list.

Whatever the problems are behind the scenes then at least do us the favour of telling us rather then taking our money and giving us nothing.
Nick, TopCat liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Hi

Sorry for the lack of comms, we have been at AERO (https://flyer.co.uk/tag/aero22/) and that has inevitably caused some delay.

Catching up on things…

- We have compiled (and continue to update) a snag list which we are working through. Some admin things can be done by the in-house team, other things need sorting by the people who built the site.
- The automatic updating of subscriber status in the forum was working, but clearly isn't now. This is something that needs fixing by our external suppliers, and I am waiting for an update
- The BB code/quoting thing should be a relatively easy fix, but we are waiting on a replacement staging environment (again, an external supplier thing)

I will post an update tomorrow after a few catchup meetings

Thnaks

Ian
PS I too get to 'enjoy' the less than ideal experience of sometimes being logged into the forum but being unable to see he latest messages (ie it says you are logged in, but treats you as if you are not), and yes, that is very much on the list too.
johnm, kanga, AndyR liked this
By PeteSpencer
I’ve just posted on the ‘first barbecue of 2022’ thread to find that every single one of my posts in that thread is completely deleted ( no others are missing)

Makes my understanding on the thread meaningless .
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Hi Peter

I believe they are still there, even if not currently visible. It's ,my understanding/hope that they'll be there as soon as we get the BB code working.

Thanks

Ian
PeteSpencer liked this
By Rob P
None of this stuff is rocket surgery

It would seem as if the 'external suppliers' may have been selected on price rather than efficiency.

Rob P
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:
> None of this stuff is rocket surgery
>
> It would seem as if the 'external suppliers' may have been selected on
> price rather than efficiency.
>

More likely their ability to look very slick and shiny in the tendering process.

However, possibly something of an oversight to have missed the bit in the project plan where it says "get the customers to test it for you, and call it a Public Beta".

Pro tip: a 'beta' is where it mostly works, not where it mostly doesn't.
GrahamB liked this
By Rob P
G-BLEW wrote:
> Nope, definitely not selected on price.
> Ian

I'd be expecting a substantial rebate then.

They simply haven't delivered.

Rob P
By johnm
There is a huge amount of content all very easy to access and well presented. Migration from one platform to another is far from a trivial task on this sort of scale. The forums basically work but some features are yet to transfer and some tools need to be integrated. That's not a monumental task, but it's not trivial either, still they should be getting on with it and they should be giving bossman some coherent progress reports.

Hopefully we will hear some of that late tomorrow when bossman has had a conversation.
G-BLEW liked this