To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Rob P
Image upload not functioning.

As noted earlier I wasn't notified about my subscription coming to an end. I am now not minded to renew it until we have a forum that actually works. :(

Rob P
StratoTramp liked this
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:Image upload not functioning.

As noted earlier I wasn't notified about my subscription coming to an end. I am now not minded to renew it until we have a forum that actually works. :(

Rob P

Remember the forum is in fact free.
It’s the other content the subscription covers.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Image upload not functioning.

Rob P

I've just re-started membership but similar to Rob I wasn't actually aware it was ending / up for renewal. :lol:

Would like the image function back working, have a few snaps of Nuthamsptead to uplaod from clay pigeon shooting yesterday.
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:Remember the forum is in fact free.
It’s the other content the subscription covers.

Content I very seldom read (sorry Ian). Thirty years of reading aviation magazines I rarely these days find anything new or engaging for me personally, so I never seem to get round it. I have never used a landing voucher either,

Yet I happily subscribed as soon as the magazine went free to support the forum which I used to find interesting and useful. The present version I find frustrating and pretty much useless, topped by the new inability to load images, even at the snails' pace the forum has been operating for the past week or so.

I will doubtless resubscribe eventually. This is just me stamping my tiny foot in frustration. :furious:

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Surely the hosting of photos was a relatively new introduction to the forum? Before that we had to put them on-line somewhere and then link to those, which, as I understand it, is functionality which still works.

I'm not that bothered about the speed thing as my way of looking at the forum is to right click and "open in a new tab" for all the new posts I want to see. By the time I've read one thread, the rest are open for me to read immediately.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Surely the hosting of photos was a relatively new introduction to the forum?

And now the 'new improved' version of the forum has gone backwards. My understanding of 'improved' doesn't include this sort of progress.

Rob P
Shoestring Flyer liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:..

And now the 'new improved' version of the forum has gone backwards. My understanding of 'improved' doesn't include this sort of progress.

Rob P

Cynics with decades of experience in IT (like me) might be tempted to say that is exactly the sort of 'progress' one expects after changes for 'improvements' in IT, as in other industries .. :wink:
Rob P liked this
By TopCat
kanga wrote:

Rob P

Cynics with decades of experience in IT (like me) might be tempted to say that is exactly the sort of 'progress' one expects after changes for 'improvements' in IT, as in other industries .. :wink:

Indeed.

It's odd though - that absolutely nothing has changed in terms of implementation management over all those decades.

It's still, as it always was, lob it in and let the customer do the testing. To be fair, given that even the best testers can only test what they can think of, there will always be snags.

The measure of that, though, is how quickly they can be resolved - and it's here, I'm afraid, that this implementation has been handled woefully. No BBCode for a month, and then on its reintroduction, appalling performance, and no ability to upload images. There's absolutely no excuse for no one having thought of that.

Nor for making it nigh on impossible to get to the search page, nor to the user control panel, without knowing the actual URL.
By townleyc
kanga wrote:

Rob P

If I had ever had an implementation like this, I would have been seriously reprimanded - if not sacked!

KE
Cessna571 liked this
By TopCat
Is it my imagination or has the performance improved a bit? If so, have the IT guys actually done anything to account for this, or is it just that people have gone away in droves?

Yesterday and today typical response times from page to page are now about 3-4s rather than 6-10s.

Image upload was still bust yesterday, though; I haven't tried it today.
By Rob P
A marginal, but very welcome improvement.

No idea about images.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
I fervently hope that when ( if?) the picture
uploading facility is restored it can be persuaded to do so without the arbitrary but ‘kin irritating habit of spontaneously rotating the images through 90 degrees .

Because of this and the faff of trying to get them upright again I gave up on uploading images a long time ago :roll:
By Rob P
Does that ^^^^ really happen?

Just checked the image upload, still not working. I would probably settle for spontaneously rotated images in preference to none.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:Does that ^^^^ really happen?

Just checked the image upload, still not working. I would probably settle for spontaneously rotated images in preference to none.

Rob P

I don’t think you would @Rob P Exasperation soon sets in but I have a work around for important stuff