To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
Not wanting to throw a rock at a hornet's nest (and so, apologies for what follows) but....

I've noticed a few posts the past week on here that are completely fine when one reads them as a member of these esteemed forums, but where - if the 'outside world' were to read them - I really think they would come across incredibly badly.

The posts are not in any way 'inappropriate' as such, but I'm quite mindful that there are undoubtedly people on these forums who might not like GA (thinking of the Little Mongeham thread, for example) and some of the replies/posts/comments that people are making are pretty much serving up an open goal for opponents of GA to lift the comments, repost elsewhere and weoponise against the aviation community.

Some of these posts were undoubtedly sarcastic, or written in jest, but the problem is that it's not always obvious and - if someone captures a screenshot - it's irrelevant because the context is lost.

As someone with a very (very) limited background in content moderation and digital marketing, I understand the SEO reasons why you wouldn't want to put the forum fully behind a login, but I just wanted to flag this publicly as I think it's actually a problem waiting to happen here.

People might think I'm being a bit dramatic, but hopefully I'm not: I just think someone who dislikes light aircraft would have a field day quoting some of the stuff on the forums.

I'm not sure I can propose anything resembling a viable solution, but in this sadly adversarial age I'm reminded of some advice a former employer of mine once gave me, which was to imagine anything I wrote - even privately - was put on the front page of The Sun.
T6Harvard, ChampChump liked this