To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flyingearly wrote:Just wanted to post here quickly.

I used to subscribe to Flyer directly myself, but last Christmas I was gifted my subscription as a Christmas present from someone in my family. Then, as lockdown kicked off, the print version was discontinued.

snip

To be really honest with you, I have not read a single page of the magazine since the print edition stopped. I have just got an email notifying me that my subscription is going to expire and - incredibly reluctantly - I'm not going to renew as I'm not sure there is really any benefit to me in doing so (I get all the other stuff I get access to, but I haven't touched it for 9 months and just doubt I will).

Anyway, not sure what the point of this post was other than to lament the print edition and provide some honest feedback that might be useful - I might be speaking on behalf of just myself, but maybe I'm actually representing a silent majority?.

Like you, though I struggled and tried really hard, I gave up on the i-version of Flyer Mag and also have not read a single iCopy.

However, unlike you, I will continue to subscribe as I think the Flyer outfit needs all the help it can get and I regard my sub, which is an open ended DD, as my admission ticket to the virtual pub that is the forum, which I have enjoyed for many years and continue to enjoy despite its occasional shortcomings and occasional unpleasantness. At least the unilateral modding has been sorted.

Put it down to age, impatience or just the love of holding a paper magazine:

Hopefully Flyer magazine will return as a tangible object some time in the future.

Me too, I'd like to know how it's going :wink:

Peter
By VRB_20kt
The real headache is that the electronic version is laid out as if it were a print version. Even the AAIB have changed their reports to being single column so that you just scroll down to read. IMHO the magazine needs to commit to fully digital and a scalable layout. The current delivery method is OK as an interim but really not easy to read. The constant panning and zooming is wearisome and even if you download it you have multiple columns that need scrolling up and down, and panning in order to read the text at a sensible level of zoom.

The content is as good as ever - the experience sadly not.
JAFO, rikur_, thebloke and 4 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
flyingearly wrote:[all I was asking (which I still haven't got an answer to) was what would you need to charge to make it worthwhile?

I don't think that's an easy question to answer. It could be a few tens of pounds per issue for short runs, or it could be a few pounds per issue for a large run.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Hi All

A quick reply to some of the questions, but above all a big thanks to all those who support our content, whether magazine, video, forum etc. It is very much appreciated.

Print sub or not print sub…
I've looked at this about three times over the last nine months. I have not managed to find a viable solution, or a solution without significant possibly existential risk.

When we made the changes some people did stop subscribing, and I am sure there are some more who will not renew, but every month there's also a good number of new members replacing them. We'll continue to do our best to improve the offering for current, new and hopefully even returning lapsed subscribers.

So, now that you are digital, why do you look like a print magazine?
Good question, lots of long answers. The summary is that there's significantly more time, money and effort required to change format that it might initially appear. We are a fair way along that road, and expect to deliver a variety of formats that will enhance the experience before too long. Sadly, it is not just a case of re-designing the pages, that's the easy bit (and the bit that's about 95% complete)

@flyingearly You asked how our business was going? Well, 2020 might well prove to be our toughest of our 27 years. The changes that we have made (and will continue to make) were absolutely necessary for our survival. One of our competitors 'enjoyed' a pre-pack administration this year!

After nine months we have…

More people reading the magazine
More people engaging with our content, here and on social media
More people visiting our websites
More people opening our email newsletters
More people looking at out videos
More market share (advertising)
More new projects
More changes planned

In line with pretty much everyone else in this business we also have a lot less revenue. We regret losing those like you who were subscribers but who now aren't members, but as I said above, without the changes we, along with the magazine and website wouldn't be here now.

Thanks

Ian
PS Regarding your 'crunch time' thoughts…there isn't really a crunch time in the way you suggest, after 27 years our subscriptions/membership renewals are pretty much evenly spread throughout the year, and non-renewal rates are pretty much identical to the print days.
JAFO, Colonel Panic, PeteSpencer and 6 others liked this
By cockney steve
Buy an old mono laser-printer (fleabay) there are many MOT stations that are forced to change their computers/printers on a regular basis and many major companies where only OEM consumables are purchased and everything is upgraded by calendar, not use! download and print your own magazine (about 1p a page if you buy right.) Colour about 3p, and if you get a duplex printer....you've got it made! Maybe a small business opportunity for someone? The big machines can collate, fold and staple and there are a lot about. :idea:
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Like Ian says, we couldn't keep doing this without the support of you, our readers and FLYER Club members - so it's a big thank you from me and the rest of the team.

If things go to plan, the format will take a major leap forward next year.
Thanks @G-BLEW and @EdH for your responses. Just to be clear, my post came from a well-intentioned place of trying to work out how we can put more money in your pocket! I'm really sad at the loss of the print edition, but obviously understand how tough things are right now and agree that this makes sense.
EdH  liked this
By johnm
@PeteSpencer
Like you, though I struggled and tried really hard, I gave up on the i-version of Flyer Mag and also have not read a single iCopy.

A couple of questions Pete

What device are you using?
Have you taken the download option?
Do you need reading glasses?

My answers are as follows:

Ipad Mini
Yes
No

and I read on the ipad mini screen no trouble at all.
By PeteSpencer
johnm wrote:@PeteSpencer

A couple of questions Pete

What device are you using?
Have you taken the download option?
Do you need reading glasses?

My answers are as follows:

Ipad Mini
Yes
No

and I read on the ipad mini screen no trouble at all.

iPad Mini4
Yes
No I don't.

Its all the bloody scrolling, zooming and jumping about I dislike and not being able to 'bookmark' a page with a finger for a few seconds while I skip to another page.

Don't fret about me @johnm , I get my paper fix from a number of current paper aviation publications from both sides of the Pond and am happy to bide my time for a paper Flyer in the future.....

My aversion to reading, learning , studying from a screen is longstanding and hasn't been occasioned by the recent Flyer situation:

I paid over the odds in 2008 for the paper manuals for the CATS IR course FD and Sandy organised for just this reason and it ain't gonna change now :wink: .......
JAFO liked this
With another thread in mind a secondary consideration may be that the old die hards don't matter so much. Considering encouragment and retention, maybe the interests of GA are better served giving the younsters the instant and 'free' access that is the modern way?
johnm liked this
By johnm
@PeteSpencer I’m sort of half and half I never got on with Kindle, so I have book beside me and Flyer on this iPad :lol:
Miscellaneous wrote:With another thread in mind a secondary consideration may be that the old die hards don't matter so much. Considering encouragment and retention, maybe the interests of GA are better served giving the younsters the instant and 'free' access that is the modern way?

Quite right - I'm trying to have my cake and eat it. FWIW, I do think that making the digital edition properly digital (e.g. not just a print magazine in PDF format) would work well...e.g. screen reader capable, single page scrolling etc.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
flyingearly wrote:Thanks @G-BLEW and @EdH for your responses. Just to be clear, my post came from a well-intentioned place of trying to work out how we can put more money in your pocket! I'm really sad at the loss of the print edition, but obviously understand how tough things are right now and agree that this makes sense.

No problem, we appreciate all the feedback - it helps us deliver the best product we can!
Funny thing is, for years I used the forum and said I’d pay for it if wasn’t free.

I’ve not read a single digital edition, but I continue to subscribe.

£2.50 a month, seems like good value to me.

Especially with the weather reports, I’d pay it for those alone.
JAFO, 2Donkeys liked this
Much like Dave I have hardly read any of the online magazine which must be very depressing for the editorial staff and contributors. Sorry guys

But my sub will continue, to pay for the forum and support Ian through a difficult transitional time.

I am seriously thinking of buying a 10" tablet and leaving it in the bathroom, that's where most of my dip-in magazine reading has happened historically.

It probably won't be a Apple product. :lol:

Rob P

@johnm I am a Kindle convert, but really only for fiction. If maps or other illustrations are relevant to the reading experience the Kindle isn't useful.
Cessna571 liked this