To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Rob P
When you use a word specifically mentioned in the code of conduct as being unacceptable

I have checked and the only word mentioned in the code of conduct as unacceptable consists of four asterisks. Nothing specific about that.

Erratic enforcement of random and unclear rules adds nothing to the forum experience.

Just saying

Rob P
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Remember to be careful if referring to any runways that have a gradient

Joking aside, aren't we into the issue of regionality - some words that are in day to day use in some regions with one meaning, are interpreted to mean something else elsewhere. It did take a while to train a colleague from Paisley as to what was acceptable to say in Surrey!

I think Wikipedia has a fair summary:

In the late 20th and early 21st centuries, the definition became even looser and is sometimes used to refer to a wide section of the (generally urban) underclass of the country (in England generally known as chavs), or merely a person of any social class who "lives on the cheap" such as a bohemian.  It is also used as an adjective, e.g. "a pikey estate" or "a pikey pub". Following complaints from Travellers' groups about racism, when the term was used by presenter Jeremy Clarkson as a pun for Pike's Peak in the television programme Top Gear, the Editorial Standards Committee of the BBC Trust ruled that, in this instance, the term merely meant "cheap".
By JonathanB
Rob P wrote:
When you use a word specifically mentioned in the code of conduct as being unacceptable

I have checked and the only word mentioned in the code of conduct as unacceptable consists of four asterisks. Nothing specific about that.

Probably because it’s now in the autodonker... it was shown at the time. And now shown again.
By Rob P
rikur_ wrote: the Editorial Standards Committee of the BBC Trust ruled that, in this instance, the term merely meant "cheap".

Quite so, which makes its alleged proscription in the Code of Conduct, which nobody can know is proscribed because it doesn't appear, all the more laughable.

Good enough for Lord Reith's BBC, not permitted on FLYER

Rob P
Rob P wrote:The proscription of the p-word is arrant nonsense. You know it I know it 99.99% of the contributors know it, and yet it continues for no good reason.

I despair.

As do I. I hold Ian in the highest regard, & accept that it is his train set, but this seemingly unstoppable move towards a very bland & PC forum is most unfortunate.

Coming from a retailing background, I am reminded that it is rarely a good idea to ignore what the customers actually want...
Rob P, PeteSpencer liked this
By johnm
I too hold Ian in the highest regard and all he's ever asked for is avoidance of politics and religion and a display of good manners, which is why I did the " Manners maketh man" post.

I am not always as good at complying with this as I should be and I am not alone, but frankly it's not a lot to ask.
By GrahamB
Rob P wrote:I have checked and the only word mentioned in the code of conduct as unacceptable consists of four asterisks. Nothing specific about that.

I think you must be looking in the wrong place:

Forum Code or Conduct wrote: No bigotry, racism or sexism
See above (Be nice, considerate and polite). For the avoidance of doubt (and as an example), P.ikey is not an acceptable term.

(Errant full stop applied to dodge the PC-bot)
By Rob P
As P.ikeydom isn't a religion or a race, merely a description of a type of behaviour I find its proscription baffling. Always have.

I presume had The Farmer used the term "Aero-Vandal" it would have gone unchallenged, yet "Vandal" has its origin in race.

Rob P