To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
Just an idea, would it be better to post non aviation posts in “Air Portal and Magazine” sub forum, that way we could keep the aviation forum for aviation.

It’s just an idea, that it might be better to separate the two types of post?
Non Aviation forum just needs to be accessible by those logged in only, and blocked from search engine spiders. It then becomes semi-private and would only need moderation in extreme cases.

However, you then have to ask why would anybody bother to host it if it wasn't boosting search engine rankings and therefore advertising revenue.

Although, if it did engage registered users to visit the whole site more, and visit other threads during the same visit, that would boost rankings.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The forum IMHO certainly has lost its sheen without non-aviation:

My source of valued advice and information on just about every topic under the sun has dried up:

I don't know if this is the same for anybody else, but if only half members visit less then shirley this impacts the Forum's appeal to advertisers and ultimately income to Flyer?

Peter
flybymike, riverrock, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:The forum IMHO certainly has lost its sheen without non-aviation:

My source of valued advice and information on just about every topic under the sun has dried up:

I don't know if this is the same for anybody else, but if only half members visit less then shirley this impacts the Forum's appeal to advertisers and ultimately income to Flyer?

Peter

Totally agree - was always the best bit over the morning coffee.

Simple moderation - 3 strikes and you are out.
flybymike, Rich V liked this
I am a member of a few guitarists/music forums, there is little or no "moderation" from self-styled censors, any "contentious threads die away naturally, I left pPrune a couple of years ago due to the heavy handed and uncalled for "moderation" by a certain Canadian moderator, The hypocritical leaving of the Brexit thread and stifling any other politics here needs some explaining, I never understood all the "angst" taken on by "moderators" who will by nature censor anything that offends their own particular views.

In the words of Piers Morgan "The world has gone nuts" ie: the removal of statues that offend snowflake millenials from events 300 yrs ago, but a statue of a convicted terrorist should be left standing, the removal and replacing of Fawlty Towers because the Major "racially slurred the WI Cricket team. :wall:

If the removal of the Non-Av is because of subjects and discussion that "offend" the moderators then this is a small nail in this entire forums coffin IMO.
flybymike, PeteSpencer, Trent772 and 3 others liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
FlarePath wrote:If the removal of the Non-Av is because of subjects and discussion that "offend" the moderators then this is a small nail in this entire forums coffin IMO.

- These forums are small part of a brand , and there's no way that I want them unmoderated
- We have asked countless times for 'no politics' This is primarily an aviation forum
- The brexit thread was allowed to run because it was it was THE issue of the day that affected a lot of other things. It was also polite, at least to start with. Letting it run was also a mistake on my part.
- How did we go from moderation to statues and TV stuff?
- Do you honestly think things get moderated because they've personally offended me or another admin?

The rules have been there for ages, if people want the Non-Av forum, stick to the house rules. Would be great to keep the best bits and lose the worst.

Ian
johnm, AlanC, Trent772 and 1 others liked this
G-BLEW wrote: Do you honestly think things get moderated because they've personally offended me or another admin?
Ian

Offended, no. In the past (NOT NOW!) it was moderated if it didn't concur with one moderator's own views.

I repeat, I do NOT believe that is true now, however like other history shouldn't be rewritten to fit todays narrative. IMHO, naturally.

:cyclopsani:
@G-BLEW
On Pprune, instead of threads being locked, they actually deal with the perpetrators.

They give the “offender” a holiday, so that the others can carry on.

Here, the thread is just locked/binned.

Then the offender can just carry on regardless till you **** the sub forum ?

That makes no sense.