To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@KeithM which adblocker did you go for from the Apple Store?

Ad Block Plus.

Have had no problems whatsoever since loading it and, like, others, the only problem was with the Flyer forum and it was so bad as to be totally unusable!
By rikur_
PaulB wrote:
rikur_ wrote:
joe-fbs wrote:Hmm. Site doesn't quite work properly like this. Maybe time to put Firefox on the iPhone.

The only solution is an ad blocker (disabling javascript will stop the adverts, but breaks loads of other things in the process)

... or not using the mobile forum.

Why does this only seem to affect the mobile forum and not when viewed on a laptop/desktop? Are there different flavours of JS?

AT a guess it's probably different adverts targeting different device types. Phishing adverts are usually more effective on mobile devices as it's less obvious to the customer what is going on, and you can make them look like it's a pop-up from your network provider by look-up on the IP address. When you bid adverts on Google you can target adverts specifically at mobile devices - no point paying to serve them on laptops/desktops if they're not going to deceive effectively there.
By KeithM
PaulB wrote:Why does this only seem to affect the mobile forum and not when viewed on a laptop/desktop? Are there different flavours of JS?

When I was having I-pad problems, I was also having desktop problems, albeit in the form of Virgin Media “dodgy website” warnings every time that I tried to access the Flyer forum.

The forum was then temporarily closed for maintenance which then cured the desktop issue and which has since been fine.

Edit: Sorry, not sure, now, if the whole site was closed or just the ad column.
Last edited by KeithM on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottish_ppl wrote:Flyer should be embarrassed to be serving up these adverts, and remove them.

I agree. A reputable commercial organisation might get caught out by some new technique by rogue advertisers, but I'd expect them to fix the vulnerability and block those advertisers (or if Google is serving them, require Google to do so) within days, hours even. This has been going on for weeks.

Is Flyer still reputable? Or has it become a clickbait site?