To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By PaulB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It can tell from your IP address.

Though it reckons mine is BT, but it's PlusNet. *shrug*

BT own PlusNet, so that may explain it (mine said BT and i’m PN too.). That said, EE was mentioned above and EE is also owned by BT (but more recently acquired than PN)

More importantly, is this caused by a weakness in JavaScript or an implementation of JS or a weakness in Flyer’s advertising code or a weakness in the code of the advertising organisation that Flyer uses.

Has anyone seen this outside of FLYER or on a non-mobile device?

(Not sure this is the correct forum for this.....)
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
EE/BT whatever is all irrelevant just as me getting phishing emails for Barclays although I don't have an account with them.

It is a widespread problem with all mobile sites which use javascript. Too think that these spammers care about who you do business with or develop a spamming device just for the FF would give them too much credence.
By PaulB
I’m not suggesting that they do it just on the forum, I’m trying to work out where the issue lies. I’ve not seen it anywhere but here.... and then for the first time last night.

Just where is the weakness? That’s what I’m trying to ascertain.
AndyR wrote:I’m getting a lot of error, then reloading page messages, which I’ve never experienced before

I occasionally see this.....
By GolfHotel
I’m getting a similar thing all the time on my iPad. But only on the flyer forum for some reason. Currently it is unusable as a result.
By PaulB
GolfHotel wrote:I’m getting a similar thing all the time on my iPad. But only on the flyer forum for some reason. Currently it is unusable as a result.

If it was JavaScript as has been suggested, then surely it would happen in other places. And on other devices..... but it doesn’t.

It seems to be linked to the advertising providers that Flyer uses (but surely they are widely used elsewhere).
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paul - switch off Javascript and it is gone.

FF mobile uses Javascript as default for some functionality as do many other forums which have the same issue. Have a google and you will see that this is a common problem.

I have not got the technical knowledge to know if this is that can be remedied when using the FF:
By carlmeek
Unfortunately turning off JavaScript isn’t practical, most sites use it correctly and responsibly.

Flyer need to sort this out!!
By PaulB
Turning off JS is akin to putting a cushion on your head when someone is hitting it with a hammer. The real solution is to remove the hammer.

If the third party ad providers who allow this (clearly not all do otherwise we’d see it everywhere all the time) found their revenue reducing because of these ads they’d act, but they don’t. They see their revenue increase as people accidentally click on the offending ad in an effort to get rid of it.
carlmeek liked this
By rikur_
joe-fbs wrote:Hmm. Site doesn't quite work properly like this. Maybe time to put Firefox on the iPhone.

The only solution is an ad blocker (disabling javascript will stop the adverts, but breaks loads of other things in the process)
By PaulB
rikur_ wrote:
joe-fbs wrote:Hmm. Site doesn't quite work properly like this. Maybe time to put Firefox on the iPhone.

The only solution is an ad blocker (disabling javascript will stop the adverts, but breaks loads of other things in the process)

... or not using the mobile forum.

Why does this only seem to affect the mobile forum and not when viewed on a laptop/desktop? Are there different flavours of JS?