To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Cessna57
I never expected Flyer Forum to become NSFW.
I’ll seriously have to not visit for a bit now.
See you all on the other side of the “testing.”
By dhs
I'm sure that Ian doesn't want to hear this, however in the spirit of honest feedback...

Privacy Badger working well for me, making the site (apparently) SFW. Good to see that the scrolling stuff on the right has gone, too: it really was very irritating.
Boxkite liked this
By riverrock
If you don't want personalised ads, click on privacy settings at the bottom of the screen and turn them off.
Then you can get non-personalised ads :thumleft:

I mostly use my phone (part of the reason for my many typos) so I only see the between post ads.
Annoying but not unbearable.
By KeithM
Was going to start a thread until I saw this one.

My I-pad stutters badly whenever I use this forum. Everything else works fine, including a similar "Model Flying" forum. Tried turning everything off in "Privacy Settings" but it makes no difference. Keyboard seems to have a mind of its own when trying to type and scrolling is equally vaguely responsive.

PC, unsurprisingly is fine as well.

As a test, I am typing this on my cheap LG phone, connected to my home Wi-Fi (as was the I-pad) and that, too, seems fine albeit the general user experience of such a device is decidedly inferior and akin to decorating ones hallway through the letterbox! Oh, and I have left "Privacy Settings" in default.

So, my theory of something running in the background and slowing the processor is still questionable but, that said, this phone"view" is devoid of ads.

Any ideas, anyone?
By KeithM
flybymike wrote:My iPad also “stutters” and flicks but otherwise normal.

No keypad problems, then?

I’m on the I-pad again now, and it’s fine, at the moment.

More often than not it can take several seconds for a key stroke to produce something which means at normal speeds there will be often be a long pause then everything happens at once!

Have just typed this with no problems all and scrolling seems okay, too.

Very strange.
By KeithM
In this acronym infested world of aviation could somebody educate me with respect to “NSFW”, if it can be done politely?

I genuinely have no idea what it means.
By KeithM
Update!

Just tried to post a reply, with quote, in another thread and had keypad problems again, slow response to “Submit” command and slow page loading.

This post is typing perfectly as the previous one.

Very strange and very annoying.
By KeithM
KeithM wrote:Update!

Just tried to post a reply, with quote, in another thread and had keypad problems again, slow response to “Submit” command and slow page loading.

This post is typing perfectly as the previous one.

Very strange and very annoying.

And “Submit” was instant but am now getting a slight delay on the keypad again as I type this, having added a quote.

I’m baffled!
By Iceman
KeithM, I get the same problems as you on my iPad, very poor scrolling and text that is many seconds behind the keypad. Very annoying.

Iceman 8)
By KeithM
Iceman wrote:KeithM, I get the same problems as you on my iPad, very poor scrolling and text that is many seconds behind the keypad. Very annoying.

Iceman 8)

Thanks for that, Iceman! Not just me, then?

Funny how my 70 quid LG phone whilst ergonomically inferior doesn’t seem to suffer from the same problem as a 400 quid I-pad Mini. I just dumped a few unused apps to see if it might make a difference. For information I have just over 3Gb of 16Gb spare now, so we’ll see.

I don’t know about you but when it plays up, it’s so bad that it is virtually unusable!

At the moment it’s working fine again and with “Privacy Settings” in default.
By KeithM
Just dropped back onto the PC and whilst "mousing" over the posts, I suddenly got a full page "Unsafe Site" warning from Virgin Media and lost the Forum page! Had to reload it again from the browser!

What on earth is going on?

My brain hurts!

:x
By rikur_
KeithM wrote:Just dropped back onto the PC and whilst "mousing" over the posts, I suddenly got a full page "Unsafe Site" warning from Virgin Media and lost the Forum page! Had to reload it again from the browser!

What on earth is going on?

My brain hurts!

:x

A fairly common one unfortunately. The adverts are not just the bit you see, but dozens of calls to other servers to set and read tracking cookies etc. If one of those servers has a security error (most commonly a misconfigured SSL certificate) then depending on setting the browser can have a wobble about the whole page.
KeithM liked this