To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:This 'rude word' check is getting ridiculous; # is where I typed f e e d b a c k fer chrissake

The problem is that a common word formation that we want to add to the censored list is the first and last two letters of the word you tried, with an asterisk between them.

The board software,in line with most, takes "*" to be a wildcard representing any number of letters, hence the result we see. A similar thing happened to @davef77 a couple of days ago when he was writing about a f l i c k roll.

The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
By rikur_
Dave W wrote:
The problem is that a common word formation that we want to add to the censored list is the first and last two letters of the word you tried, with an asterisk between them.

The board software,in line with most, takes "*" to be a wildcard representing any number of letters, hence the result we see. A similar thing happened to @davef77 a couple of days ago when he was writing about a f l i c k roll.

I'm guessing the board software is using regular expression matching/regex ?
usually * means 1 or more characters, whereas . means exactly one character ... or you might try .{1,3} to match between 1 and 3 characters
i.e. b.{1,3}nd would block 'bond', 'bend', 'b e nd', 'blind', but not 'bottomed'
By Dave W
Gertie wrote:
Dave W wrote:The board software,in line with most, takes "*" to be a wildcard

So look up how to escape it.

You are aware that the Mods are volunteers, not your staff, yes?

@rikur_, that's appreciated. I'll give that a go when I have some time.

There is a wider issue though, and that is that some people do use the asterisk not as part of an expression but simply as a way of getting around the use of the full word. Not sure how to deal with that scenario.
By stevelup
Dave W wrote:There is a wider issue though, and that is that some people do use the asterisk not as part of an expression but simply as a way of getting around the use of the full word. Not sure how to deal with that scenario.

I suppose we could accept that this is a grown up place full of grown ups, and no-one really needs the silly auto-donk in the first place... especially if it's been set up in such a way that it blocks completely acceptable words such as flashback, feedback, flock and frock...
Tim Dawson liked this
By cockney steve
I find it all quite amusing. Must admit the f---k -roll conjured- up some strange images until I managed to fit the right word in. :oops:

Well said, Sir. :thumleft:
It may be a predominantly adult forum, but it's open to all to read. As a community, Aviators are , by and large, educated and sociable people. As such, their vocabulary is expansive enough to express their thoughts without language that belongs in the Tap-Room or at a drunken stag- party.

The door is open, It's a free- house, minimal rules, just respect the sensibilities of those who have possibly had a less robust upbringing (or a greater sense of propriety than yourself......Don't like it?...Door's open, you can go out, if you want.
Want to know just how onerous and odious censorship can be? nip over the dark-side and read the "jet- blast" thread "you have been given some time away from this discussion " eat a bit of Umble Pie.......and welcome back. :)
By Gertie
Dave W wrote:
Gertie wrote:
Dave W wrote:The board software,in line with most, takes "*" to be a wildcard

So look up how to escape it.

I meant it, of course, as a suggestion, not an instruction. I included the keyword to search on, had the volunteer in question been unaware of the concept and not known where to start.
By JonathanB
I just had a play with the auto-donk... unfortunately it isn't based on regular expressions and you cannot 'escape' the wildcard so that it just matches one asterisk rather than any number of any character. It also matches the wildcard before any alpha numeric characters it seems.
By PeteSpencer
Its not too difficult to defeat the autodonk with spaces:
It doesn't interrupt the reading experience as much as asterisks.
But it's still a pain in the ar se when it happens.
Fe edback appreciated or don't you give a sh it?

Peter :wink: