To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flybymike wrote:Do ignorer d```s know that they are being ignored? or are they basking in the sublime but erroneous belief that their behaviour is so successful that their target has become dumbfounded?

No, or not as a result of a notification.

However, most people who are on someone's ignore list will know so from the exchanges between ignorer/ignored which proceed and follow said action, as both parties usually have an irresistible urge to share the fact that they are ignoring someone or on someone's ignore list.

Seems weird - I personally think it usually is repressed love.

:D
By PeteSpencer
flybymike wrote:Do ignoree dicks know that they are being ignored? or are they basking in the sublime but erroneous belief that their dickish behaviour is so successful that their target has become dumbfounded?

There's only one and he knows all right: I am oblivious of any comments from this direction.
I like this.
I should add that this situation arose as a result of subtle hints from bossman...... :wink:

Peter
By mick w
flybymike wrote:Do ignoree dicks know that they are being ignored? or are they basking in the sublime but erroneous belief that their dickish behaviour is so successful that their target has become dumbfounded?

I'll just continue to observe their posts , & enjoy seeing how silly they look . :D :thumright:
By Paultheparaglider
PeteSpencer wrote:I should add that this situation arose as a result of subtle hints from bossman...... :wink:

Peter

Pilots tend to be fairly strong minded individuals by nature. It goes with what we do. In such circumstances, personality clashes are probably more common than in society generally. How we deal with that is up to us. It is easy to get into a protracted argument with another forumite, but generally, after maybe the first exchange or two, both parties to the argument usually end up looking equally silly to pretty much everyone else. Nothing on a forum is ever worth getting that worked up about. The same, mostly, applies in real life.

My rule of thumb is generally to make my point, and then to question myself carefully if I need to come back to it. Anything that I think warrants a third response almost always signals to me it is time to let it go. Letting the other person have the last say is usually a sign of wisdom - not a sign that the other person has won any largely pointless debate.

I think I've only ever seen Ian or the other moderators suggest using the foe option when all earlier hints to the combatants have fallen on stony ground.
Miscellaneous, FrankS, cockney steve and 2 others liked this
By Miscellaneous
Looking at the forum beyond the, for want of a better description, core 'clique' there is nothing more likely to put prospective members off joining and new contributors staying than witnessing such behaviour as described by Pete. Having a dislike button to satisfy your desires, Pete, is simply asking too much. And if I may say so, is rather selfish. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch', Bobcro liked this
By Rob P
Paultheparaglider wrote:I think the opposite, Mick. I think a dislike option would prove antagonistic, and spread contention and bad feeling.

If however the 'Dislikes' appeared as a count only, not attached to names, then the postee collecting a lot of dislikes would be aware of the strength of feelings against their post, but it would not become personally antagonistic.

Rob P
flybymike, seanxair liked this
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:If however the 'Dislikes' appeared as a count only, not attached to names, then the postee collecting a lot of dislikes would be aware of the strength of feelings against their post, but it would not become personally antagonistic.

I can't help but feel that would result in excessive indiscriminate use of the dislike button.

'Hiding' behind a nom de plume attracts sufficient criticism, to hide which nom de plume disliked is heading towards farcical. IMO of course. :D

I have to question the strength of the desire to dislike individual posts and why ignoring or responding does not satisfy the individual. :?

FBM; IMO taking pot shots is exactly why we shouldn't have a dislike button. :D
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:It is however nice to see that Rob and Pete agree - I knew I was right! :D

Indeed, but will Pete know they agree? :lol:

If Frank says so, it must be so. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this