To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve just signed up for a year’s subscription. The registration form refused to let me pass because I hadn’t ticked the ‘this is a gift’ box, which it wasn’t. In the end, I had to tick the box and fill in my details again.

Iceman 8)
By Nick
Well how is it going???? @G-BLEW
Last Sunday I cancelled my direct debit to Flyer.
Its not the money, at less than a pint of beer a month that doesn't come into it. Lots of promises but the magazine is still unreadable for me. I don't use the free landing vouchers they would make me feel as if I were begging. I am sure there has been ample time to change the format into a single sheet that could just be scrolled through, not ideal but better than trying to flick through something trying to look like a mag. If the magazine does come back into print then I will certainly take out another subscription, but if I am making a charitable donation I can think of more deserving charities than Flyer.

Disappointed,
Nick
@Nick

I'm finding your argument hard to follow. The 'unreadable' magazine is free to view

Your sub is for a few add on extras in The FLYER Club or, as most of us view it, supporting the best organisation in GA for all it provides.

Rob P
russp, T6Harvard, Rjk983 liked this
By Nick
@Rob P
As it is so diabolical, so it should be free.
If we are expected to support the Forum, and I agree it is worth it, then there should be a registration charge. The point I am not happy with is that we have been dragged along with promises that have just not materialised.
Well that's it I'm out!
I will add my £2.50 to my Air Ambulance donation.

Nick
@Rob P, I agree, the mag is not related to the membership fee and like @Nick I got little from it, seeing it as donation. And, I must add, one that I was more than happy to pay. However, I took having my and others questions about a string of unwanted emails completely ignored rather insulting. In all honestly I felt like a fool paying a donation (as I saw it) to an organisation that completely ignored that particular thread. I had to fix that feeling of foolishness…sadly. :(
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Nick wrote:@Rob P
As it is so diabolical, so it should be free.
If we are expected to support the Forum, and I agree it is worth it, then there should be a registration charge. The point I am not happy with is that we have been dragged along with promises that have just not materialised.
Well that's it I'm out!
I will add my £2.50 to my Air Ambulance donation.

Nick

Sorry Nick, we're a tiny team working with limited resources and a small budget. The new website and delivery should be launching at the end of Jan/Feb next year.

A huge amount of work has been done, and there's lots more to do. We are going as fast as we can, but obviously have to put in a fair amount of work to produce a 'diabolical' magazine at the same time.

Ian
Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Speaking personally, I have no qualms in using the free landings (though I've only recently restarted regular flying after a year and a half of not flying) (hey, can you persuade the free landing voucher suppliers to have them valid indefinitely?). I will try and buy food and fuel anywhere which offers free landings. I usually see them as "extra" flights or extra stops to what I'd normally fly.
G-BLEW liked this
By johnm
I agree with Paul about the Free Flights, it's a way of deciding where to go and one can always find ways of adding to their coffers once there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Flyer package presents great value for anybody with an interest in aviation and the cost is just so small it's immaterial.

If you find the magazine hard to read then I'm amazed. I'm 74 with poor eyesight but can read it perfectly happily on an iPad mini in portrait format after downloading it, a very straightforward process using the icon at the bottom of the isuuu screen.

I shall continue to pay up as requested and look forward to further innovation from the dream team :D :thumleft:
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
johnm wrote:I agree with Paul about the Free Flights, it's a way of deciding where to go and one can always find ways of adding to their coffers once there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Flyer package presents great value for anybody with an interest in aviation and the cost is just so small it's immaterial.

If you find the magazine hard to read then I'm amazed. I'm 74 with poor eyesight but can read it perfectly happily on an iPad mini in portrait format after downloading it, a very straightforward process using the icon at the bottom of the isuuu screen.

I shall continue to pay up as requested and look forward to further innovation from the dream team :D :thumleft:

Even though I'm not as old as @johnm , and I love OHJs, I totally agree with every word of this. :thumright:
johnm liked this
It does cross my mind occasionally to cancel my Flyer Club subscription but for one reason or another I don't.
It does rankle me slightly though that the magazine can be read without any subscription at all!
I also agree with other comments that the magazine is not good nowadays mainly due to the format it is presented in. The content is not that great either, being very same old. I rarely read it and have only used one landing voucher in the past year.
Again I agree that it does seem that there has been quite a few promises of improvement and jam tomorrow for quite some time now that have not materalised!
However on the upside I do like the forum and contribute when I feel appropriate, so overall and on balance I sort of try to think of it all as a total Flyer package that I am paying my subscription in to! :)

Personally I would very much like to see a return to a proper printed magazine..any possible chance?
VRB_20kt, Nick liked this
By UncleT
Shoestring Flyer wrote:It does rankle me slightly though that the magazine can be read without any subscription at all!

It worked the other way round for me: it didn't sit right with me that I was reading the online/download magazine every month for free, as well as using the forum, but not contributing to its production costs, hence I decided to pay to join the Flyer Club to show support and, hopefully, to enable it to keep going.