An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Anon
Anonymous poster
Thanks, Sir Morley, I have already booked my next flight with an instructor to go practise power settings and attitudes and flying without an ASI.

After switching on the pitot heat the ASI appeared to be working correctly so I thought I had cured it and continued with the flight. It was only with larger changes of attitude that it became apparent that I still had a problem. Stalling was a planned part of my original flight. I felt that reminding myself how the aircraft felt and behaved approaching a stall might help me recognise and avoid one during the final low speed phases of the flight and landing. Remember I have very few hours, and little experience. I am aware that, despite actually holding a licence, I am still on the steep upward part of the learning curve. Almost every flight is a new learning experience for me.

It had been drummed into me during my training how easy it can be to lose speed during the landing phase.

I would like to thank those who have taken the opportunity to comment and offer advice. I think it is brilliant that there is the facility to post anonymously and learn from mistakes, rather than sit quietly in the club house and pretend it never happened.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One question - does the aeroplane live with a pitot cover on it?
I've had water in the pipes in an aircraft which does live with a pitot cover on it. Probably in the static pipes though as all pressure instruments were affected. And of course we were in cloud when they all started playing up - anyone who tells you that the instruments don't know you're in cloud (or the engine doesn't know you're over water etc) is just trying to persuade themselves to believe a myth: all my instrument failures have been in cloud, ROTM is real!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Like Gertie I have experienced pitot static failures in IMCR on a PA 28. PA 28 are not all the same when it comes to pitot static, some have pitot static together on a blade under the wing and have 2 heater elements if you have only one working you'll think it's OK on pre-flight but it'll still freeze up in cold IMC.

The other thing most PA 28 s have is pitot static drains which are carefully hidden down the side of the p1 seat and almost never opened.
I was once doing a local flight in a PA28 on a nice day when I noticed that the ASI wasn't behaving properly. I also decided to climb and do a couple of stalls. I fail to see what harm this can do and in my mind only gives some more information - which as long as you aren't getting silly and overloading yourself isn't a bad thing.