An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Anon
Anonymous poster
About half way through IMC training.

Always used heading bug on Direction Indicator to roll out and maintain new heading as instructed.

Practiced flying on partial panel without Attitude Indicator and Direction Indicator so expected those could fail.

So last trip plan was a left turn followed by a right turn to approach an NDB for a direct approach to the hold.

Set heading bug turned left onto track, bit later to be told by instructor heading wrong way.

Corrected then set heading bug for right turn. Whilst turning right noticed that the heading bug was moving clockwise not fixed to the heading card.

Did not know that the heading bug could fail in that way.Instructor commented that I should be following the correct heading and not rely on heading bug.

Hopefully If I complete the IMC course I will be able to spot equipment failures quicker.
By adhawkins
The heading bug in the Arrow I fly has a tendency to do that. The trick is to make sure you pull out the knob after setting the heading bug. Otherwise, the bug tends to 'stick' as you're turning, and hence turn relative to the DI.

Andy
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I didn't know that about the Arrow. It would be a good idea in that case to incorporate a check of that type in the taxi checks to see if you will need to do that. The heading bugs on our Archers and Arrow 4 don't do that.
By adhawkins
Sir Morley Steven wrote:I didn't know that about the Arrow. It would be a good idea in that case to incorporate a check of that type in the taxi checks to see if you will need to do that. The heading bugs on our Archers and Arrow 4 don't do that.

I suspect it's because there's a problem with the DI in this particular Arrow, rather than it being an issue with Arrows per se.

Andy