An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Gillas
Last checkride (just 3 circuits) I did with an instructor he waited until I had lined up with the runway then stuffed his map infront of the entire panel apart from the rpm guage and announced "see how you get on with that". I found it reassuring to discover that I could accurately fly 3 circuits without the panel. was a little fast on the approach but that I deemed far better than too slow.

A worthwhile exercise for others maybe?
By Sharpie
Gillas wrote:... I found it reassuring to discover that I could accurately fly 3 circuits without the panel.

A worthwhile exercise for others maybe?

I haven't done it but I can see that it all could be nailed, except the altitude. Where it is critical in the circuit - such as where you have a heli circuit right underneath you - it might be a problem.
By Gillas
That's a good point, I found that I was 200' below where I should be. Weirdly when asked how hight I thought I was I got the answer right so why I didn't just fly at what I thought was 1000' rather than the 800' I actually was I can't explain!! Still even that serves as a lesson.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At the last flyin I was at, someone decided to start taxiing their 3-axis microlight with the pitot cover on. There was a mad scramble with two people on the radio, two people running after him and then one person marshalling him to stop.

Turns out he was only changing parking spaces as he was blocking someone else in...