An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Anon
Anonymous poster
Hi,

I visited Panshanger a few weeks back, and in my efforts to concentrate on the noise abatement circuit, got very close to the Luton Zone where it drops to ground level:

A couple of questions:

1. Would you consider this an infringement?

2. Should I 'fess up and report it, in the hope that this makes it less serious, or just keep schtum and hope? Assuming I 'fess up, how do I do that? Call Luton?

Regarding point 2, I seem to remember reading that in the States they have a scheme where you submit a form, and that renders you effectively immune from prosecution regarding the event.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
By Keef
If you got "very close to it" that's not an infringement. If you went into it, it is.

In the latter case, since a few weeks have elapsed, I'd wait to see if they contact you. Had it been yesterday, I'd have called them to "discuss" it.

There's no "fess up and escape prosecution" here, but the CAA is normally sensible about such matters.
By fuzzy6988
Would you consider this an infringement?

I think no, but it was a close shave! Based on your diagram I can't see traffic inside the CTR being disrupted in this case anyway.

I guess one thing I try to bear in mind myself is to remain within gliding distance of the field.

Non-standard "noise-abatement" circuits should not take you outside the ATZ... if it does the ATZ needs enlarging. :)
By Mark R
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Probably not an infringement, but the initial join looks a bit suspect though. With a right-hand turn against the circuit direction to turn back onto the deadside.
If someone else was joining from the NE at the same time things might have got a bit 'interesting'.
By NATS GA Lead
I don't think Panshanger has featured in a NATS investigation for a few weeks now. Your track as represented on the chart would probably not generate a second glance from the TC Luton controller. If you let me have the date/time I will check the radar replay and try and capture a shot of what it looked like from our end.
By Anon
Anonymous poster
PM sent.

Thanks Jonathan.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
'Er I think I may have gone through a red light, Officer: Here are the details of the time and place so you can have a look at your CCTV.....' :wink: :wink:
By RickRouse
I have to say that NATS are excellent when dealing with private pilots who make a genuine mistake and contact them. I met Jonathan Smith when he coordinated a tour of Swanwick a few years ago and was a fantastic education, brought me more confidence in my flying and reduced the 'us and them' attitude I had.
If anyone gets the opportunity to do the tour, I'd heavily recommend it. They give a good talk on infringments and how they happen.