An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By jbrewer
Hi all, I was hoping for some constructive analysis of this situation.

I was on downwind in a K-13 to a certain well known gliding club. Just ahead of me was a K21 (which is a much higher performance glider) flying a wider circuit. I knew I would have to cut inside him as I would not be able to glide as far as him. If i had followed exactly behind him i would have ended up landing short. As i would be effectively cutting him up I decided I would call him on the radio to tell him where I was and what I was doing. I would then land on the right hand side of the airfield, to give him plenty of room on the left. I made the call but recieved no reply, which certainly isnt uncommon in this situation.

I turned base and saw him continue down wind further. I turned final, pulled out the air brakes and started to drop to the deck. Just as i was about to flare I suddenly noticed the K21 flying along side me on a converging course. As Im sure you can understand, i nearly papped myself! I immediately stowed the airbrakes to extend my glide and stop me losing height. I turned to the right but was concerned I would hit the wing tip on the grass and end up cartwheeling. Luckily i ended up landing long and avoiding the K21.

The whole time the other glider made no attempt to alter course.

My opinion is that i should have become aware of the other glider sooner, and I was too focused on my approach and not looking out of the cockpit enough. But I do believe that the K21, as it was behind my from my turn onto base, should have seen me before It would have even been possible for me to see him.

In the end there was no problem and all I had was a long tow back to the launch point, but if i hadnt reacted we definately would have collided.

I would really appreciate some other opinions on the incident.

Cheers,

Jack
By Timothy
I guess that this is one of those situations where hitting the Missed Approach/Go Around button on the autopilot just isn't going to hack it :D
By KNT754G
Just a thought, would it have been better to land on the Left hand side of the landing area, implicit in Rule 14 (3) (a) then the other glider can "leave clear on its left any aircraft which has landed, is already landing or is about to take off"

Did you speak to the other pilot after landing?
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suspect the other glider pilot never saw you.

Well done for being attentive and avoiding a deng. Did you speak to the other pilot and what did the folks on the ground see and say (Duty Instructor etc?)

Welcome to the Forum; nice to read some gliding related stuff.
By jbrewer
After speaking to him he said he hadnt heard my radio calls but said he saw me only when he was on finals and assessed that he thought there was no problem. The DI disagreed but did not really apportion any blame. He just made us both fly a check ride to make sure we were both flying the circuit appropriately.

I decided to land on the right as i was concerned about cutting accross his flight path, especially as I hadnt recieved a reply over the radio and i couldnt be certain when he would decide to turn base/finals. The launch point cuts the airfield in two and there was less room on the left, which is another reason for my choice.

Thanks for the replies, its nice to get other opinions to help analyse your flying.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ROG wrote:Pity that some people never listen out on radio.

We don't fly on radio waves.

Especially in gliding it is self reliance that is importance; as T said, there is no TO/GO-AROUND button in most gliders.
By profchrisreed
In gliders you just have to do the best you can.

My guess is that you're comparatively low hours (because you were flying a K13 solo). With more experience you find you have a few more options. For example,in your situation I might have cut in early (assuming the field is big enough), using the airbrakes on base leg, or even earlier, to try to be on the ground and thus a static target while the K21 was still on approach. But don't try this until you know you can fly it properly and still have options open!

I'd say your thinking processes were on the right lines, so the refinement is making the decision early enough to give the other glider as many options as possible.

Also, always keep in mind that you can land in an adjacent field (crops permitting). Sometimes that's the safest option. I once did this flying a trial lesson, as the narrow runway was uncomfortably crowded. Huge stubble field on the undershoot, and my pupil/passenger was highly delighted.