An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Anon
Anonymous poster
Perpetrated slight cock up departing Cherbourg today, 'cos I misread the French chart. I'd filed a flight plan for FL050 and was cleared by Cherbourg to depart and asked to report leaving the zone, what I hadn't twigged was that I should have stayed below 2500 ft until transferred to Deauville Approach.

Reading the chart again I can see how I got that wrong, but it's interesting that UK clearances under these circumstances usually include an altitude restriction, French ones don't.

Yet another lesson learned.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Did they berate you for it? Usually the French either won't care, or you had an implicit clearance despite talking to Cherbourg and not Deauville!
By Anon
Anonymous poster
Let's just say the nice lady controller drew it to my attention and I apologised like an English gent should :-) I'm guessing they saw the Mode S return and invited the Cherbourg controller to pass me on.