An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Timothy
I flew a 2h25 sector at FL95, -15ºC and, after a few minutes the heater packed up. I was dressed in a shirt and a jumper and, although my feet felt a little cold, I wasn't too badly affected, so didn't divert, descend or put a coat on, everything seemed fine.

I landed, dropped off my passenger with engines running and took off again for an hour long 3500' run home at about -5ºC.

As soon as I was airborne I noticed that I wasn't functioning properly - transmitting on wrong box, "forgetting" basic things, and I also started shaking uncontrollably. I put the a/c on a/p and reached round and put on my coat. Even inside that I was shaking with cold and was very aware of my performance being dubious (it was a bit like being drunk or dead tired, I could do the right things but only with a huge amount of effort and concentration.)

I did seriously consider diversion, but came to the conclusion that in my drugged and confused state I was probably better to land at a very familiar environment than to try and work out the procedures and circuit pattern at somewhere less familiar.

After I landed, I taxied to self-fuel and, to give you an idea of how numb I was, I seriously overfilled 3 of the 6 tanks ( I allowed the first to overflow because I was distracted by aircraft above (see my other post shortly about Biggin yesterday afternoon), so realised that I had to focus more, and still managed to do the same thing twice more.)

So, please be aware that if you get seriously cold, it can seriously affect your capability for thought and rational decision making.
By masterofnone
Wow...you were very lucky!

Hypothermia and its symptoms are well well known to anyone seriously involved in outdoor pursuits. From what I can remember, it is not covered on the PPL syllabus. This is a shame, as you clearly demonstrated it is something pilots have a risk exposure to and is a condition that is definitely not well suited to an aircraft cockpit environment!

It shares similarities with carbon monoxide poisoning and hypoxia in that it is insidious. As it very quickly degrades ones ability to think and manual dexterity, it requires prompt diagnosis before the condition progresses too far and leaves the sufferer incapable of helping themselves. The one benefit is that your body is good enough to give you a clue - it starts shivering. Don't ignore it - at some point the body will stop shivering and by this point you will probably be too far gone and will effectivley become incapacitated.

Use the same strategy as mountaineers (no - you don't have to dress like a mountaineer!). If it's a cold day - the secret is in multiple thin layers. These can be put on or shed, giving you a better chance of finding a comfortable medium. They are also easy to carry. The problem with having a big coat is that it is bulky, and give you less scope for getting comfortable. With it on, you''ll likely be too uncomfortable. Take it off and you may get too cold.

Cold isn't the other factor to think about. Hydration is also key to keeping yourself in a good place to make decisions. The body isn't particularly good at reminding you to drink. Usually, by the time you are feeling thirsty, it is too late! In sport, there is a research derived maxim which says a 2% loss in bodyweight loss of water results in a 20% drop in physical performance. Similar effects take place on your mental performance.

Also, avoid big meals directly before flying (like those mega "full english's"). These can also hinder mental performance.
By Flyingfemme
When travelling, in cold weather, in anything that sports a janitrol heater you must be prepared for it to fail. They almost always do and can only be reset on the ground. If the heating fails in a piston single or turbine you have plenty of other problems that keep the adrenalin flowing and warm you up!
For short trips and low levels your ski gear will generally suffice - on the back seat in case of need. On longer trips when maintenance is not going to be available the only real answer is electric underwear. TheDealer has a full-body set that plugs into the cigar lighter and keeps him comfy.....last used just before christmas over Greenland.
By KNT754G
I was flying the seneca last weekend and the (janitrol) heater didn't work.

At 2,000' with an OAT of +7 it was cool enough to be uncomfortable. Fortunately only 60 mins each way so we got on with it.
By Timothy
They have at least found a broken wire.