An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
Sometimes people make mistakes.
Maybe he was just having a bad day. ATC clearly expected that particular pilot to have more local knowledge than he did. Maybe ATC had just had an ear bashing from Joe public and was trying to make sure the next few aircraft were not routed over the caller's house - who knows.
If the route really was a locally recognised route then it would be printed at least on a notice board in the briefing room whatever, in the flying school's FO book, or wherever.
I don't think it would prevent me taking off!
By Talkdownman
PaulB wrote:How many airfields are there with ATC and an ATZ in class G?
Dunno, but here are 34 to be going on with....

Benbecula - EGPL
Biggin Hill - EGKB
Blackpool - EGNH
Bristol Filton - EGTG
Cambridge - EGSC
Carlisle - EGNC
Coventry - EGBE
Cranfield - EGTC
Dundee - EGPN
Exeter - EGTE
Farnborough - EGLF
Gloucestershire - EGBJ
Hawarden - EGNR
Humberside - EGNJ
Inverness - EGPE
Kirkwall - EGPA
Lands End/St Just - EGHC
Londonderry/Eglinton - EGAE
Lydd - EGMD
Manston - EGMH
Newquay - EGHQ
Norwich - EGSH
Oxford/Kidlington - EGTK
Plymouth - EGHD
Redhill - EGKR
Scilly Isles/St Mary’s - EGHE
Shoreham - EGKA
Southend - EGMC
Stornoway - EGPO
Sumburgh - EGPB
Warton - EGNO
Wick - EGPC
Wycombe Air Park/Booker - EGTB
Yeovil/Westland - EGHG
By Dave Phillips
You forgot the vast majority of military ones and my favourite, Newtownards. ;)
By Talkdownman
I always ignore the military ones....... :wink:

Oh, all right then, here you are.....

(Newtownards? Have you taken over control of Newtonards Radio, then...?)
By jollyrog
Dunno, but here are 34 to be going on with....

I just took 30 mins to read the AIP to come up with the same 34, to find I'd been beaten to it... :(
By Dave Phillips
Yep. I think I'll shut up now before anyone else spots my (deliberate :whistle: ) mistake.
By Talkdownman
Dave Phillips wrote:You can tell Mike's on nights. :)

......and Facebook all day....
By KNT754G
To my mind the said ATCO has refused a clearance (take off clearance) to an aircraft when there was no traffic reason to do so, this makes it an illegal act!

An ATZ is not exactly huge, max 2.5nm from ARP so difficult to see why a departure in a generic direction (depart to the SE, or fly a RH cct and depart the ATZ from the end of the DW leg) could not have been used.

Even if it were a notified VRP then, outside CAS, ATC should most definitely NOT be instructing aircraft to route OVER a VRP.

We would all like to know which airfield, me particularly as I control at an ATC airfield with an ATZ in class G.
If it is one of my ATCO then he/she will be getting collar felt!
PM accepted to retain anonymity if necessary! (assuming ANON can still post here under their anonymity)
By Talkdownman
If a local agreement or procedure is not published it cannot possibly be a standard procedure (except, maybe, for clairvoyants). There are a number of aerodrome managements who need to wake up to this. No better than 'back of an envelope' pinned to a flying club notice board, ie. not worth the paper it is written on.

KNT754G wrote:To my mind the said ATCO has refused a clearance (take off clearance) to an aircraft when there was no traffic reason to do so, this makes it an illegal act!

I agree with KNT (phew.. :shock: ). The ATCO has no authority to withhold clearance other than for traffic reasons. ATS and Aircrew are, together, part of the overall air traffic management team. This isn't teamwork. This should be reported otherwise it won't get nipped. At least name and shame to keep the thread interesting.....
By vintage ATCO
Since the forum permissions have been corrected, Anon will no longer be able to publish on this thread or send PMs. He/she should now register to do so (or perhaps they already are . . . . )
By Rich T
KNT754G wrote:To my mind the said ATCO has refused a clearance (take off clearance) to an aircraft when there was no traffic reason to do so, this makes it an illegal act!

Talkdownman wrote:The ATCO has no authority to withhold clearance other than for traffic reasons.

Out of interest, does that mean that, for example, an ATCO must give a clearance even if they know the aircraft is being taken without owner's permission?