An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By nimbusj15
On Saturday I took my first flight in one of these

http://www.rafgsa.org/cgc/images/CIMG0339.JPG

The aerotow was fine, the aircraft responded as per the brief, ie its has very light control forces and feels as if nothing is conected, released from tow and put the undercarriage up.

I had reservations about my seating position before I started, if I sat in one position it felt to upright, the alternative was almost laid back, so after some bum shuffling and repositioning the rudder pedals I opted for the latter.

Any way nice sunny afternoon, blue thermals to 3000' and I was having a nice time, until it came to getting the gear down.

Place top of hand on the outside of the handle - move handle inboard
Turn hand over and push

been doing it for years always works except this time...

I ran out of umph in the pushing department and couldn't get past the over centre down lock.

I tried several times, with variations on grip, loosening straps and leaning forward, plus a couple of bunts for good measure. Eventually, I put the handle between my index and middle fingers and pushed, painful but it worked.

So dear reader when you fly something new - make sure you can reach everything.