An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Gertie
(There seems to be no way to log out to post anonymously, so this isn't very anonymous!)

Normal take-off run. Pull back slightly at an appropriate speed, as usual. Leave the ground. Slide sidesays out of the air, hit the ground on one wheel, then back on the ground on all wheels for a fraction of a second, heading towards the side of the runway. Bounce back up into the air. Stall warner starts screaming.

OK ... at a foot above the ground, just about to chop the power and land in the 2/3 of a mile of remaining runway when the thing starts flying and we climb away normally.

(This is tarmac - I'm used to bouncing airborne prematurely off grass and have always coped with it so far - usually some variation on "do nothing and it'll sort itself out".)

Diagnosis: I failed to take the crosswind seriously, didn't hold on the require into-wind aileron, and got caught by a gust under the upwind wing.

Next time: believe in crosswinds on take-off, even if the reported crosswind is such that I wouldn't worry about it on landing.
By KNT754G
Sound advice there, always better for the into wind wing to dip due too much aileron that the downwind wing due to not enough!
By fishermanpaul
Gertie wrote:(There seems to be no way to log out to post anonymously, so this isn't very anonymous!)

I found that as well. mods: could you investigate?

Gertie, thanks for posting non-anon anyway.
By Anon
Anonymous poster
fishermanpaul wrote:I found that as well. mods: could you investigate?

I logged out - the toggle at the top of the right hand column over there ---->
and logged in as Anon with no problem whatever. I'm using Firefox 3.5.2 if that's any help.

Keef
By Keef
...and logged out of that and back in as Keef, with no problem.
By fishermanpaul
Keef wrote:...and logged out of that and back in as Keef, with no problem.

Using IE8.0.6001 on Vista (...I know, leave me alone...).

1) Hi fishermanpaul ... "Do we know you? etc..."
2) Clicking "Click here to logout"
3) Redirect happens
4) Hi fishermanpaul ... "Do we know you? etc..."
5) Goto 2

I know the unwritten first rule of ITIL Incident Management is "Assume the user is a numptie" but even I can "Click here to logout"...
Trust me, it does not log me out.
By Keef
Dunno, then. I don't use IE and I don't use Vista.

Have you cleared the cache? If so, try deleting all cookies with Flyer in the URL and restarting IE.
By CaptChaos
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For completeness, as well as into wind aileron, leave rotation until highr speed to enure clean lift off to remove chance of settling back on runway with drift.
By Gertie
fishermanpaul wrote:Using IE8.0.6001 on Vista (...I know, leave me alone...).

1) Hi fishermanpaul ... "Do we know you? etc..."
2) Clicking "Click here to logout"
3) Redirect happens
4) Hi fishermanpaul ... "Do we know you? etc..."
5) Goto 2

Yes, that's what I see. IE7 on Win2k3 Server.

I know that the weenies will say "you should be using Firefox on Linux", but out here in the real world most of us do still try to make our web sites with with IE on Windows, which still accounts for the majority of visitors.
By Keef
I just started IE8, which logged in OK and let me post this. I'll see if it will let me log out again.
It's Windows 7 RC1 behind that. The Linux machine is in Essex and I'm not.
By Anon
Anonymous poster
No problem with Win 7 and IE8.

Cookies and/or cache are the usual suspects, but if you've done those I dunno what to suggest.

Keef
By Sharpie
Keef wrote:...and logged out of that and back in as Keef, with no problem.

Ahh, so that's who Anon is - it was Keef all the time...

Blimey, just reading about your other exploits, Keef :D

For a trifling fee, you too can be Anon!
By Morley
Right. Now we can all log in and out, what about crosswind takeoffs? One of my studes did exactly that the other day but had rotated a tad early.