An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Small but important experience today. I went from Kemble to Popham via CPT but decided to come back the other way round to the west of Lyneham via Compton Abbas.

I met a huge storm cell that basically covered the whole of Salisbury plain and out to the West. I tried to go through the edge of it near Warminster, far too bumpy so I did a 180 and went further west just to North of Yeovilton and then back overhead Colerne (thank you Bristol radar) and home.

The visibility away from cloud was enormous, so I knew I could easily go and sit it out at Compton or Henstridge, therefore no drama, but it's a while since I was called upon to do planning and navigation on the fly so to speak and the loss of the signal to my pilot III added to the fun :roll:

All in all a timely reminder to keep sharp and always know where you are!
By Moose
Sounds like you handled the situation perfectly :)

There were some nasty CB cells all over the SW today making things interesting. Even the big boys were asking for radar vectors around them from Bristol radar, so you weren't alone!
By johnm
What made the Pilot III pack up John? Electrical interference?

Possibly, it just came up with the poor coverage error message and went into a sulk. Not a unique happening, but quite rare, it's a sturdy little beast generally and remarkably reliable with its little built in aerial :D

The Garmin 150 was still working happily in the panel so position fixes by bearing and range were always an easy option if I'd needed that.
By KNT754G
Really thick clouds will attenuate the GPS signal to an extent that the receiver can no longer interpret whatever data it receives.

Bit like trying to use the GPS inside a hangar.

Might only be a corrugated tin roof but the signal doesn't penetrate through sufficiently.
Same with really thick clouds, CBs especially.
By johnm
Might only be a corrugated tin roof but the signal doesn't penetrate through sufficiently.
Same with really thick clouds, CBs especially.

Another good reason (amongst many) for avoiding 'em I guess
By nobby
IMHO SatNavs are a must, but not a primary MUST. When I bimble, I tend to just bimble with my map on my knee and head outtada window, but it its jolly nice when you think "erm, I'm here(ish)" and a quick glance at the SatNav and it peeps up and shouts "yup, you are ishly there, but specifically here"

But a lorra lorra folks with tell you stories of ifwhenandbuts when the GPS goes pop.
By Charles Hunt
At ground level, I think I'm pretty good at knowing where I am, particularly in respect to fixed features.

In the air, I hope that my 'mental map' is slowly coming together.

My problem is navigating against an airspace boundary that you can't physically see.

OkK I'm a little bit East of Dunsfold, but am I inside the Gatwick zone or not? This is where I can see GPs as a godsend.

(Actually, having checked the chart, if you're east of Dunsfold , you're in!)
By nobby
Charles Hunt wrote:(Actually, having checked the chart, if you're east of Dunsfold , you're in!)

nah, you can squuze by Dunfolds to the east quite easily.

what is terribly hard is the pass through the gap of Heathrow and City CTR :wink: