An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Delauney
Ridders wrote:
ifty wrote:Happened to me on my second solo, luckily was s & l so just closed it. told the instructor when I landed he said no harm done gov you done alright! :lol:
I raise that second solo to a first solo :wink: , on which my side door popped open.

I see your door opening and I'll raise you the instructor's door opening on my 1st solo :shock:

The old QFI in his eagerness to let me fly solo for the first time, must of not quite shut his door, It opened on my climb out.... I reached over and shut it on the downwind leg. It was a C152 so no real drama, though I did not open the window first though...

I also agree the Tommyhawk doors are cr@p, with the traditional messing around with both doors prior to almost every flight.
By bookworm
[quote='Gertie']The door in a 152 came open the first time I took a passenger after getting my licence.[/quote]

Was it JC by any chance? That was the one that did it to me in similar circumstances.

The event that was a lot more fun was flying a Seneca II in the US with an instructor when the door on his side, which he was supposed to have closed and locked, popped open. Only at that point did he decide that putting on the seat belt would be a good idea! He didn't manage to close it, so it gave us an excuse to land at Paine Field, pause just long enough on the runway to close the door, and take-off again.
By JenkinGeorge
Yay, I feel like my average isnt quite so bad :oops: , one door opening every 15hrs (4 times in 60hrs), all in the same a/c mind, so maybe its the a/c, not me :?

All in a 152 though, so no probs with shutting it.

-George
By Leighton CZ
I've owned a Pup 150 for 14 years -- It's happened to me once -- My fault.
As Jonathan says -- no big deal.
High drag low speed high nose attitude -- was the original poster flying a 100 or 150?
When it happened to me I slowed right down, basically at the stall, (which is quite benign on the Pup) at a safe height, unlatched the door and closed it -- making sure the Upper Locating Tongue was going into it's slot.
As has already been said the doors are curved and once open / unlatched the slip stream gets under the front edge and prevents the door from being closed -- you have to reduce the slipstream to get any chance of success.
By jollyrog
Last leg of my QXC in a PA28. Couldn't shut it, so just told them on the radio and carried on. draughty.