An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By dysonsphere
a few weeks ago did a radio check at my new club for info and radio, got no answer had been briefed on a previous check flight this does happen so made blind calls and ended up backtranking into the CFI on finals (vis was Carp so never spotted him in the murk) so did a very fast taxi to clear runway, he/student went around so no harm done. The question is I made a backtrack call and CFI sayes student made finals call, we never heard each other even though I could hear other ppl in circuit. (rang next day to make apoligies). Just wonder if anyone has any ideas of any other things I could have done?.
By eltonioni
Send up a flare?
By Shunter
It's an uncontrolled field, and CFI or not, he has to go around if the runway is occupied.

That said, it's always nice to know the radio is working. If your a/g is unmanned, is there another local (busier) frequency you can use to confirm you're receiving, and got the volume turned up etc?
By Timothy
They might have been in the same soup.
By Lowtimer
Chances are that you both transmitted at the same time, thus blanking each other out.

I assume this is an A/G setup, not Information or ATC.

Just goes to show that when operating in unknown traffic environments you can't rely on the radio for a full picture. Even without a radio glitch you might have met a non-radio aeroplane coming down the approach.
By BobM
I've had radio problems in 2 different a/c where I could hear other a/c on the freq but not ATC (Luton ans Stansted) GASIL has a note on the problem
page 12