An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Bond406
[quote]Then I fly along a bit at that altitude, before gradually descending a hundred feet or so to check that level is free of conflicting traffic. It usually is, so back up to the first hight, and then a bit more of a climb to, say 2,390ft. Again, all clear so back down for a few minutes, and so on. And on top of that I 'jink' occasionally two or three degrees left, then a few degrees to the right, and so forth. all the while,[/quote]

I reckon all of this f*rting about must increase the chance of hitting something, surely - statistically on the basis of the meandering (and hence longer) flight path, not to mention the extra time looking at the dials whilst manouvering
By jloxsemi
[quote='Bond406']

I reckon all of this f*rting about must increase the chance of hitting something, surely - statistically on the basis of the meandering (and hence longer) flight path, not to mention the extra time looking at the dials whilst manouvering[/quote]

I'll not disagree with your point about statistics as the chances of me ever getting my head around the subject of stats is a million to one. The thought of anyone "looking at the dials while manouvering" scares me. I'll assume it is a tongue-in-cheek statement (as was mine). Fortunately I've hardly got any dials to look at, so eyes-out is my watchword. I have, however, figured out that statistically my chances of hitting something are infinitely greater than winning the lottery, so I spend as much time as possible looking for it.
By Bond406
Fair point. With the dials I was thinking that as your changes in alt and heading are small and precise, it would be difficult to achieve them without at least a few glances at the DI or Altimeter?
By KNT754G
I'm just glad that as this thread developed folk eventually started squawking rather than squarking!

Fly quadrantal levels when IFR because it is the LAW (unless you happen to be on W2D between POL and IOM when Manch apparrently think it is optional and leave traffic at semicircular levels).

When flying VFR fly at whatever level you want BUT take responsibility for See and Avoid!