An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By Guest
Not an "It happend to me" but something similar that I feel I must ask on here, but anonamously. Apologies mods if this is the wrong section,but its the only way I can pose this question anonamously.

So, Im at work tonight. One of the guys who I work with comes up to me and says " I need a word". I go with him to a quiet corner. This chap knows I fly, still a student at this moment in time, but he knows I fly. He says " I have a job for you". Im not thinking anything at this point, but I do think it strange he's taken me to one side. I say "what sort of Job?". He says "Pick up a package in Belgium, bring it back to the UK and when over XXXX drop it from an the aircraft." I dont say anyhting. He says " £20k in it for you, dont worry about getting caught etc, we have it all covered." At this point I say "this isnt for me,and walk away."

Now im thinking what do I do? Do nothing and leave it, even though someone is bringing drugs into the country?

Tell the Police and risk them knowing it was me who told them?

I have never and would never get involved in anything like this, but I have become involved by merely knowing about this.

What do I do?
By Captn P
Ring or walk into your local police station now. Tell all straight away. The longer you leave it, the more potential for you to become involved.

:shock:
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree with Captn P.

However is it wise to have this posted even anonymously? Mods? :?
By eltonioni
[url=http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/West-Yorkshire-pilots-arrested-after.3159195.jp]West Yorkshire pilots arrested after £2.5m cocaine haul[/url]

The Police should be versed in protecting anonymity and often just need the one lead to bring together a whole host of running threads.

There is also Crimestoppers if you feel shy.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well the CAA would take a dim view if you flew on a PPL only and did trips for valuable consideration!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate you must be having a larf, probably some journo trying to find out what the score is on people's gullibility.
By Guest
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Well the CAA would take a dim view if you flew on a PPL only and did trips for valuable consideration!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate you must be having a larf, probably some journo trying to find out what the score is on people's gullibility.

Negative on that FD. I can assure you that this is a genine post, with deatils of waht was said between us as accurate as possible.
By Keef
There are, I think, only two possibilities.

1. It's a journo or similar, messing about. He wants to see if you will "do the right thing", or keep stumm.

2. It's someone who is trying to find a sucker to smuggle drugs for him.

In either case, the only thing you can honestly do is to call HMC&E hotline (the number every pilot keeps in his cellphone, just in case). If it's not in your cellphone, it's 01475 537115.

I'm sure they'll preserve your anonymity, but he'll still know who called it in. If he's a crook, he should be shopped. If he's a journo messing about, he should find that some pilots (at least) are honest.

If the bloke is an "honest idiot", then you can draw comfort from that. Otherwise, anyone who would smuggle drugs deserves all he gets.
By Guest
I thought this was a send up as well! Why would any one do that? I think that someone would "sound out" a potential courier first and not just ask out loud. (i've never had to do this but it just makes common sense)

So no offence mate I think either you are having a laugh at us or someone is having a laugh at you. If this isn't the case go to the cops, fast.
By ROG
Chances are that this guy is already known to the police/customs.

Intelligence is very well developed nowadays---personally would "assume" it was his sense of humour and don"t get involved. Chances are that they will get caught.
By Morley
PROB 50 a Daily Mirror journo.

Either way call plod and suggest they operate a sting.

Oh, hang on, you cant do it. You need a CPL!

Seriously don't do nowt. If it ain't a journo he'll find someone else. If he is the article will go "Pilot's old boy network protect each other" or some such.
By Keef
I had a word with a friend in HMC&E.

They get umpteen of these a day, and regard them as a PITA. He really did not want to know.

He also told me that the "Customs Direct" number I mentioned above has been dropped because nobody used it. In fact, he was intrigued to know how I found out it existed. I couldn't remember anyway (probably read it on here).

The advice was that if you see something going on, tell the ATSU you're talking to, or call Crimestoppers (0800 555111) or Customs Confidential (0800 595000). The problem with both of those is that you could be 100 miles away by the time you get a human on the telephone.
By Guest
Keef, many thanks for your help with finding out from your friend HMRC.
By Morley
Surely local plod would want to know?
By Keef
I guess plod will have "enjoyed " the same selection of wind-up calls, and will think the same as my HMC&E pal. If it starts to look serious, then call it in.

I talk to HMC&E, M does most of the talking to plod. If you care, I'll get her to ask her pals next time she's called to a nick.
By Guest
If you want