An anonymous forum to allow you to share those moments in flying that caused you concern. You can post without registering a username, registered users can log out to post
By ROG
Just been reading about guy who took off with concrete block attached--an experienced pilot--he came clean--all credit to him.
Who hasn"t made an error--what was yours--come on confess.
Mine was not having the door completely locked--took off thought bit noisy--next minute-the mapand other docs are sucked out through the gap. If anyone finds a map floating in the thames it"s mine.
By JoeC
I think ROG deserves a bigger stage than that
By Morley
Not assuming command. Luckily I wasn't flying at the time so it wasn't fatal.

I was the pilot flying and two other PPLs were there. I was in a 152 in a line where the taxying area was between two rows of aircraft parked tail to tail.

I wrongly assumed there would be enough room and wrongly assumed the others would be watching my back rather than rightly enjoying themselves as passengers. Taxid straight into the rudder of a parked 152.

Cost me 500 quid and a lesson learned.
By Flyingfemme
Morley wrote:I was the pilot flying and two other PPLs were there. I was in a 152

152 with an extension, was it? :wink:
By Morley
:oops: Sorry 172. Or I could've said i was in the child seat :D
By Gerard Clarke
Attempting twice to land downwind on a shortish downhill farmstrip after failing to notice that the wind had reversed direction in the fifteen minutes since take off.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Similar to Morley's. I took the wrong (too narrow) gap bewteen rows of aircraft at Southend, and whilst looking to my right for the parking space, managed to knock the nose cone of a parked Aztec with my left wing tip. :oops:

I was told that the Aztec belonged to the lead singer of the 70s band 'The Roubettes' - that'll teach them for [i[iugar Baby Love[/i].

Iceman 8)
By Delauney
I took off with full flap in a Cessna 152........many years ago.

When I levelled out at the end of my climb, the 152 would not make 90 kts, so I told the tower 'I thought I had an engine problem' their reply was the sphincter twitching 'would you like to declare an emergency' - I then noticed my flap setting :wall:

I can't remember what I said to ATC but I continued with my flight :oops:
By Ben K
Managed to leave the carb heat to "hot" during a go-around...in a Cub.

The resulting performance was not very good at all, and thinking I had an engine prob, called the tower & told them I was coming in with an engine problem, when an experienced instructor in the circuit called up and said "have you got the carb heat in?"

Checked carb heat, followed by a very red face & lots of friendly ribbing when I got back down on the ground!
By Moose
Nothing major, but managed to embarrass myself at Popham last year by taxiing into the parking area to the west of the clubhouse only to realise there was no where to park and no room to spin round. Had to shut down and get my passengers to push me back out all whilst being photographed by two blokes with large SLR cameras :oops: I assume there were spotters, so I'm probably on a forum somewhere as berk of the week.
By Gertie
Delauney wrote:I took off with full flap in a Cessna 152........

Hmm ... if I try that in a 172 it gives me a clue that something is wrong by insisting on running off the left hand side of the runway.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I once pulled the throttle and mixture instead of throttle and carb heat - and stopped the engine.

Only problem was that at the time, I was upsidedown. pulling through from a wing over on short final for Sibson. I nearly ended up in the pig farm. Now that really would have been embarrasing.
By fishermanpaul
Took a wrong turning on a very dark airfield. Ended taxiing slowly up the fire-station escape road.

"G-xx can you do a 180 current position?"
"Nah, we'll just just head that way back to the taxi way"

Off between the markers, several minutes of very careful moves in almost pitch dark and, eventually, there we were back on the proper taxiway. How we managed to miss everything and avoid a prop-strike I'll never know.

Utter P1 get-there-itis on the ground 100yds from engine-stop.

ILALFT.

fp
:oops:
By Kicks
Landed in Atlanta in a Pa-28. Got lost in the ground. I had asked for progressive taxi instructions. The ground controllers told me to turn left but I took the wrong one. This little plane taxing past much bigger planes which looked to be parked up for the night. Eventually got me near where I was meant to be and they had a guy meet me and I followed him the rest of the way.
I apologised to the tower so many times but he was sound about it. He said the place I had went was so far out of the way I wasn't harming anyone.

I had the taxi diagrams and everything but that place is huge!